Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default How to make polymer targets

I want to try and make some self sealing polymer targets like the ones that seal up after they are shot. To buy them are expensive

I did find this simple recipe for a polymer but don't know if it would be as good as the ones that are sold

Fill one cup with water and add a spoonful of the Borax powder and stir it up.
    Fill the other cup with about 1/2 inch of glue
    Add 20 ml (three tablespoons) of water to the glue and stir
    Add a few drops of food coloring and stir again
    Add two tablespoons of the Borax solution and stir well. Watch the slime form!
    Lift out the spoon with the slime and place it on the dish
    Let it sit for about 30 seconds and then pull it off the spoon and play

If I can find the proper ingredients then I/we could make simple shaped molds and make are own reusable targets

So does anybody know any thing about polymers

(Centre County)

Default Re: How to make polymer targets

what kind of glue did it recommend. From what you have described, depending on the glue, it would not "harden" enough to be solid in a shape to be able to use it as a target. It sounds like it would remain too malleable and would still require a hardener. My father knows a thing or 2 about polymers and matse... I'll see what I can extrapolate from him. He hates firearms so this will be an interesting conversation with him but I'll see what I can get from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Lawrence County)

I have no clue, I've never even heard of self repairing targets before... lol

hey medic, I've seen your collection... If your dad hates guns, where did you get your toy obsession!?! lol

This post should be interesting, with new things to learn...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(York County)

I have my own molding and casting company, working with polymers, resins, rubbers, foams, silicones, etc..for the prop and costume field. I've been meaning to look into expanding my wares into the firearms industry/shooting sports. Casting some foam torso targets that would seal up is on my agenda to experiment with this year. The correct material is expensive to purchase and there is quite a learning curve to making perfect castings, but it can be a fun and rewarding hobby. The flexible foams I buy costs about $200 for a gallon unit, to give you an idea of expense. Plus there are silicone for molds and other associated costs which end up costing more than the base material generally.

As far as a cost effective home recipe.....maybe make a box mold out of wood and then grab some of that expanding foam in a spray can for insulating around your house. If you coat the box with a good coat of wax, you'll be able to release the foam easier after its cured. Make sure the box is screwed together and strapped in all directions. Keep a hole or two open on the top of the box for pouring and venting once the material expands. All of that insulating foam I have seen has cured into a hard part though and would probably chunk off when shot, so I don't know if they make that type of foam where it retains some elasticity.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    hey medic, I've seen your collection... If your dad hates guns, where did you get your toy obsession!?! lol
    I blame BSA and my grandfather. Oh and one of my fraternity brothers. He kicked me over the edge and helped me make my first purchase (keep your head low Capt. Sica!)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    what kind of glue did it recommend. From what you have described, depending on the glue, it would not "harden" enough to be solid in a shape to be able to use it as a target. It sounds like it would remain too malleable and would still require a hardener. My father knows a thing or 2 about polymers and matse... I'll see what I can extrapolate from him. He hates firearms so this will be an interesting conversation with him but I'll see what I can get from him.

It said to use Elmer's glue

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    I have my own molding and casting company, working with polymers, resins, rubbers, foams, silicones, etc..for the prop and costume field. I've been meaning to look into expanding my wares into the firearms industry/shooting sports. Casting some foam torso targets that would seal up is on my agenda to experiment with this year. The correct material is expensive to purchase and there is quite a learning curve to making perfect castings, but it can be a fun and rewarding hobby. The flexible foams I buy costs about $200 for a gallon unit, to give you an idea of expense. Plus there are silicone for molds and other associated costs which end up costing more than the base material generally.

As far as a cost effective home recipe.....maybe make a box mold out of wood and then grab some of that expanding foam in a spray can for insulating around your house. If you coat the box with a good coat of wax, you'll be able to release the foam easier after its cured. Make sure the box is screwed together and strapped in all directions. Keep a hole or two open on the top of the box for pouring and venting once the material expands. All of that insulating foam I have seen has cured into a hard part though and would probably chunk off when shot, so I don't know if they make that type of foam where it retains some elasticity.

The recipe I posted is more of a science project I think. But that was all I could find about it.

$ 200 a gallon thats why they are so expensive

(York County)

On the internet, there are many recipes for home made ballistic gel.
    Here is one:
    I thought you'd like this video I found at http://www.wonderhowto.com on how to test firepower of guns with homemade ballistics gel:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...cs-gel-184771/

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    $ 200 a gallon thats why they are so expensive
    And that's just the expanding foam, and a small quantity at that. The molding supplies are more costly. It's no fun getting started in new projects with molding and casting, it takes a good bit of up front funding to get started.

Is this the type of target you are looking for or are you looking for a realistic torso target?: http://www.letargets.com/estylez_ite...JSM-MTP-BK+STK

That's a lot of rounds it says it can take.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    I want to try and make some self sealing polymer targets like the ones that seal up after they are shot. To buy them are expensive

I did find this simple recipe for a polymer but don't know if it would be as good as the ones that are sold

Fill one cup with water and add a spoonful of the Borax powder and stir it up.
    Fill the other cup with about 1/2 inch of glue
    Add 20 ml (three tablespoons) of water to the glue and stir
    Add a few drops of food coloring and stir again
    Add two tablespoons of the Borax solution and stir well. Watch the slime form!
    Lift out the spoon with the slime and place it on the dish
    Let it sit for about 30 seconds and then pull it off the spoon and play

If I can find the proper ingredients then I/we could make simple shaped molds and make are own reusable targets

So does anybody know any thing about polymers
    I've used that recipe before. It won't work too well for shooting at. It basically makes a slime that stays slimy until it dries out. Once it drives it's like a giant puck of dried glue.
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast