Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Lee turret press

I started loading for the 38sp with a single stage press. Then added 9mm, and am now looking at 40 S&W and 45 GAP for my sons.

Does anyone have experience with any of the Lee turret presses? Looking at Midway, I see there are 3 and 4 hole turrets, primer feeders, case feeders, etc. I assume with the 3 hole turret, you seat and crimp in one operation.

I think I want the 4 hole turret so that I have the option of using either 3 or 4 die sets. I also want the primer feeder, but am undiced about the case and bullet feeders. There seems to be little information about which items work with which press.

Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Lee turret press

Make sure you get the CLASSIC turret press. Much better built than the regular press, and still very affordable. Get the kit with the pro auto disk powder measure and priming system for small and large primers. Great setup:

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

The case feeder and bullet feeder are only for the fully progressive presses. Whole different animal.

(Allegheny County)

I have the 4 hole turret. It's a nice little press. I have mine set up for .223 and 38sp. I'm just getting started but so far it's been fine. I did have some die issues that I'm just getting resolved.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Make sure you get the CLASSIC turret press. Much better built than the regular press, and still very affordable. Get the kit with the pro auto disk powder measure and priming system for small and large primers.
    I agree with this recommendation. I have both the Classic Cast and the standard presses. The Classic Cast seems to run much better, and loads pistol rounds fine with the powder measure and safety prime system.

(Adams County)

The classic appears to be rugged and well designed. With the powder measure and primer feeder, it should pump out rounds fast enough for my needs. Thanks for the link.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy View Post
    The classic appears to be rugged and well designed. With the powder measure and primer feeder, it should pump out rounds fast enough for my needs. Thanks for the link.
    Just a quick note in advance. To get the primer feed working properly, you'll probably have to raise it using a 5/16" I.D. fender washer between the press frame and the plastic primer frame where it bolts to the press. It provides enough clearance so the thing will operate like it should. Without it, my primers wouldn't feed reliably. As far as I know, Lee hasn't addressed the problem yet.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don T. View Post
    Just a quick note in advance. To get the primer feed working properly, you'll probably have to raise it using a 5/16" I.D. fender washer between the press frame and the plastic primer frame where it bolts to the press. It provides enough clearance so the thing will operate like it should. Without it, my primers wouldn't feed reliably. As far as I know, Lee hasn't addressed the problem yet.
    I had no problem with mine set up as designed. Interesting.

(York County)

I got mine around 8 to 9 months ago. It may have been an earlier version that had been on the shelf for awhile.. The primers wouldn't feed into the cup on the primer arm using the trigger. When I raised it, the primers would actually drop into the cup. It didn't take much. Just a clearance issue, I guess.
    Last edited by Don T.; January 4th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don T. View Post
    My press already had a washer installed on that bolt from the factory, and I didn't need to add another to get it to work properly.