Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default I cant, but can my fiance/wife own or possess?

I just found out that my misdemeanor convictions from 99 and 2000 will bar me from owning a firearm. At least thats the way Im reading it. (simple possession)

Can my fiance' soon to be wife own? She actually owns a small rifle now and is looking to buy a handgun, plus we stand to inherit her dads collection of antiques.

Ive looked around the site and seen some stuff about people getting their right to own firearms restored, or pardons, etc etc. Any advice on this stuff? I did search, but the posts I found dont pertain to my case exactly, Im not a felon.

Thanx for helping a newbie to the site. Go easy please

(Franklin County)

Default Re: I cant, but can my fiance/wife own or possess?

"Felon" or not has no bearing. "Prohibited" is just that, regardless of how you got there.

You're fiancee/wife can indeed own firearms, but she must take careful measures to have them be completely inaccessible to you. If she doesn't, she (and you) will end up in another messy situation.

She should keep all firearms locked up in a place where you don't have the key or combination, so this rules out a "nightstand gun" for home protection. Also, she may not allow you to handle or use these firearms at a target range, or even on your own property.

The likelihood that you may get caught is probably low, but the consequences if you do are quite serious.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; January 4th, 2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: corrected grammar error
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lycoming County)

Understood!
    So an in-home safe that I dont have access to would suffice?
    If thats true, thats great. As far as reinstating my rights, should I start with a pardon application? I read that there is a way to get the court of common pleas to restore my firearm rights too. Would I need to do this for every case that I was convicted of? In every county I was convicted?

I should qualify myself a bit I think.
    In 2005 I was attacked by a co-worker. Stabbed in the chest (he went for my heart) and stomach. I would like to protect myself and my family from this type of thing ever happening again. If she isnt home, and I dont have access to a firearm, that would be potentially devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by Billtown View Post
    Understood!
    So an in-home safe that I dont have access to would suffice?
    If thats true, thats great. As far as reinstating my rights, should I start with a pardon application? I read that there is a way to get the court of common pleas to restore my firearm rights too. Would I need to do this for every case that I was convicted of? In every county I was convicted?

I should qualify myself a bit I think.
    In 2005 I was attacked by a co-worker. Stabbed in the chest (he went for my heart) and stomach. I would like to protect myself and my family from this type of thing ever happening again. If she isnt home, and I dont have access to a firearm, that would be potentially devastating.
    Baseball bats and machetes are better than nothing, until/unless you can get your rights restored.

I was gonna guess that, with 8 years of clean living and being a productive member of society behind you, that it may be easier to get the court to restore your rights than get a pardon, but your post has kinda made me feel a little nosy. How many counties are actually involved?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Luzerne County)

I would also make sure that you are prohibited (or not). From the sound of your OP you were not entirely sure...

You can post section convicted of here for a quick consensus or ask an attorney for a pro opinion.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lycoming County)

OK, I get really embarrassed about this stuff when I talk to ppl that dont know me in person. So please go easy on me. This is not who I am any more.

1999 Montgomery County
    Theft by Unlawful Taking 3921 A (Three Counts)
    Corruption of Minors 6301 a1 (She was there when I took 3 tires from her dads house)
    Criminal Trespass 3503 B1.2
    Loitering at Night 5506
    Possession of Paraphernalia 780-113 A32

1999 Centre County
    Possession of Substance by Unauthorized Person 780-113 A16

2000 Centre County

I understand it as:
    Curruption is Misd.1 up to 5 years in jail
    and the drug offenses bar me anyways right off the bat.
    Its so frustrating for me b/c I received probation for these offenses, and I just found out this doesnt matter, its the max sentance. That and misdemeanors DO matter!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Billtown View Post
    I just found out that my misdemeanor convictions from 99 and 2000 will bar me from owning a firearm. At least thats the way Im reading it. (simple possession)

Can my fiance' soon to be wife own? She actually owns a small rifle now and is looking to buy a handgun, plus we stand to inherit her dads collection of antiques.

Ive looked around the site and seen some stuff about people getting their right to own firearms restored, or pardons, etc etc. Any advice on this stuff? I did search, but the posts I found dont pertain to my case exactly, Im not a felon.

Thanx for helping a newbie to the site. Go easy please

Or read another way; "Can I circumvent the system and own guns that my fiance/wife to be will just buy and call hers?". Come on slick, cut the bullshit and just admit it! You wanna be able to have your cake and eat it too! I hope you both get caught!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Or read another way; "Can I circumvent the system and own guns that my fiance/wife to be will just buy and call hers?". Come on slick, cut the bullshit and just admit it! You wanna be able to have your cake and eat it too! I hope you both get caught!
    No offense, but was that really necessary? He recognizes he's prohibited.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Sorry If my post offended you. I live my life in the light now. I wouldnt have bothered to ask about the legal stuff If I just wanted to own a gun. Im sure I could go buy one on the street If thats all that mattered. But its more than that in my case. And if it means that we cant have guns in the house, then so beit. I went my entire life not owning one, Im sure I can go just as long again.

If saying that makes you feel better about yourself and the life you live, go ahead,I can take it

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    This is not the first time you've pulled this nonsense. Even if that's your opinion there are far more "adult" ways to express it other than the above.

The OP asked a simple question. And he got answers. If you have nothing but baseless accusations to throw about you may be better off keeping them to yourself.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast