Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default BROWNING 7 MM WSM OR BROWNING 270?

I HAVE A 7MM WSM BUT I THINK IT MIGHT BE TOO BIG FOR PA DEER AND WAS WANDERING ABOUT A 270 SOMETHING A LITTLE SMALLER WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Default Re: BROWNING 7 MM WSM OR BROWNING 270?

Is this rifle only for hunting? Do you reload, or just shoot factory ammunition? The reason that I'm curious is so that it'll help with better advice. I think that with the proper bullet, either of those rifles will do fine for deer. They're both pretty big and moving pretty fast, and to be flat out honest, both of those cartridges will probably go through and through. Do you have a preference over long or short action?

(Beaver County)

haven't bought any dies to play around with yet.but really the long or short action doesn't matter.my 7mm wsm i use factory ammo and should'nt.should i use like a triple shock bullet from barnes?so it's soild.

(York County)

are you talking about the .270 win or WSM?
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Beaver County)

just the 270 win no short mag..

I don't even have anything against factory ammunition, just curious on if your bullet choices were limited to what was factory loaded, or if you had some other options. I think that with either of these rifles, it's actually a "bit much" for only deer, but hey, it's better to have more than enough gun, than not enough. Either of these cartridges will still give you options for larger game. I think that as long as you're using an expanding bullet, and placing them where you need to, you'll be fine. Because both of these cartridges will probably have a through and through with any bullet that you'd want to shoot deer with (and not damage a ton of meat); so my main concern would be knowing what your backstop is. I think as long as you do that with either of these cartridges, they'll be fine.

Most stores will carry at least some variant of .270, but you will have a bit more trouble finding the 7mm WSM, but you can still find it in places you didn't expect. If you're talking about reloading for these cartridges as well, you'll have a harder time finding the 7 WSM brass. You will also have more choices for bullets that can be used for other puproses besides hunting with the 7mm WSM. I like the WSM cartridges because they're not overbore, they can hang with the full magnums with the lighter bullets, and they're pretty user friendly (usually) to tune a load for. Archer was having some problems with his .270 WSM, but usually they're pretty easy to tune a load for. Honestly man, I don't think that you can lose with either one. The way that prices are right now and how things are going crazy with firearms prices, if you already have a 7mm WSM, I'd just keep it unless you found a heck of a deal on a .270 win.

(York County)

Yeah I had a .270 WSM (sold it friday) but I think my problem was more with the gun rather the cartridge. It did shoot as well as any deer rifle though (1-1.5 MOA). I personally thought it was a bit much for deer, but I do favor the smaller calibers, so I can see your concern with the 7mm WSM being a bit stout. If I would have hit a deer in the shoulder with that .270 WSM I would have lost both shoulders.

I still like the .270 win, thats a great deer round, so that would probably be the one I would vote for if it was between the 7mm WSM or .270 win. for deer in PA.

(Beaver County)

that is what i'm afraid of.i'm a meat hunter and dont want to ruin any..so i'll be looking for a 270 win.

(Wayne County)

If your a meat eater shoot them four legged rodents in the neck. Shame on you Arch007er for selling your 270wsm. You real think a deer is going to notice 150fps difference? I don`t think so. All of my Southern friends shoot 7mm mags but they use 130gr tipped bullets. Yo`all have a happy new year now Hear?

Qtrborecrazy

(York County)

LOL, I'm not really a gun hunter, unless I have to be, so selling the gun didn't matter too much me, besides its going to help pay for my new bow . I'd bet that a .270 win will mess up the shoulders bad too if you hit it square, I'll stick with the 6mm/.243 when I get around to building my rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast