Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Winchester Model 42

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 42 .410 chambered for 3" shell. I took it off his hands for $50.00.(also a Marlin lever action .22) I have searched all over the internet for information and have seen prices all over the place. It appears that it has been used quite a bit in the past, but has most recently been sitting for several years. My question to you more knowledgable persons is, would it be worth having it professionally cleaned and re-blued, or just do the best I can myself as far as cleaning it up. I have seen articles on the internet saying that re-bluing would hurt the value.
    Any suggestions?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Winchester Model 42

If you got a working Winchester model 42 for $50 you stole it and should not be able to sleep for weeks.

Cleaning and lubing the gun would be the thing to do. Removing light rust with brass wool and oil will bring back some of the factory finish. Worn metal finish is normal for old guns as is handling marks in the wood. This is something I would expect as a collector.

NEVER attempt to "refinish" a collectable gun with store bought cold bluing. Never use a Dremel or polishing wheel and do not attempt to remove light pitting with a media blaster.

The only refinish job that should be done to a model 42 would be a professional re-blue and this should be done ONLY IF the job would save the gun from destruction. Once you get to a certian point of finish wear and pitting, a refinish job would keep the gun shootable and preserve it...while ruining it as a collector.

A good shootable model 42 with 50% finish is worth more than a good shootable model 42 that has been refinished.

Those guns are bringing $750-$1200+ depending on condition. I would lightly clean it up and shoot it as little as possible. Nothing wrong with having a few safe queens that do nothing more than gain in value.

(Lebanon County)

Or you could sell each one of them to me and make 100% profit!

Don't do anything more than properly clean it, oil it and store it properly. Shooting it occasionally so it doesn't forget what it was made for is OK too.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Chester County)

Great purchase on the Winchester! If they haven't been used in a long while, you may want to take them to a shop for a look over but if the previous owner had been using, maybe just a deep cleaning/soak in oil.
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

BE DARN SURE YOU LISTEN TO BUCKMAK ON THIS HE IS DEAD ON. NEVER TAKE A MODLE 42 OR ANNY COLLECTIBLE AND RE-FINSH UNLESS ITS A LAST RESORT. IF YOU DO YOU BE ABSOLUTLEY SURE TO USE A PROFESSIONAL. AND GET THE BEST TO DO THE JOB. THERE ARE THOSE OUT THERE THAT CALL THEMESLEVES PROFESSIONALS AND LEAVE A LOT TO BE DESIRED.