Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default New truck: Questions about in-dash replacement, GPS, essential gear, etc.

Well, after my other thread thanking the good folks for helping me get unstuck, I was traumatized by the experience (not really((kind of)). I picked up a 2005 Chevy Avalanche this week. I really dig it and there's tons of lockable storage.

So, I hate driving but this thing is so badass that I feel compelled to do so. I even managed to squeeze 20 MPG from her from State College to Pittsburgh. So, I want GPS. Now, I'm inclined to pick up the Garmin 760 with Bluetooth, FM transmitter to play mp3's on the radio.

So, the in-dash cd player doesn't work. Everything else is fine, eject works, just can't feed a cd into it. I'm not much on cd's and I doubt I'd ever rifle through them to find what I want. I'd much prefer an MP3/ipod solution.

So, anyone know anythng about this sort of thing? The truck is factory stock with no modifications and I won't do a replacement of the unit myself. Anyone know of some badass in-dash GPS/DVD/MP3 rigs that will work well without breaking the bank? Any suggestions will be appreciated, especially anyone with experience with this stuff or has a rig in their 02-06 Tahoe, Avalanche, Sierra, Silverado, Suburban (I think they use the same unit). FWIW, it's not the Bose system (I don't think) and I do not subscribe to OnStar, though it is equipped.

Additionally, for the more prepared among us, what items are absolutely essential to keep in a vehicle? I have a roadside emergency kit with charger cables, reflector sign, air compressor, jack, spare oil. What else should I put on the list to fill up my lock-boxes?

Thanks for your time

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: New truck: Questions about in-dash replacement, GPS, essential gear, etc.

Good looking truck. I keep one of those big maglites in my explorer. One of those 4 battery, get a nice swing out of it maglite.

I also keep a power inverter in mine also. Use it for the laptop. I have a map progrm on the laptop.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Blair County)

Default Re: New truck: Questions about in-dash replacement, GPS, essential gear, etc.

Friends of mine just bought a used Avalanche after totaling their Dodge Dakota on the ice a couple weeks ago.

One suggestion would be a tow strap. Never know when you might see someone stuck in a ditch.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Monroe County)

I hate those navigation systems. GPS for boats, planes or backwoods hiking and hunting`s cool though.
    Carry a cheap stadium blanket from the dollar store. I can`t count how many I`ve left at accident scenes, literally dozens.

(York County)

to get anything decent for an in-dash setup you will be paying serious $$$. I would reccommend that you just get a stand alone GPS system and then replace the radio with an acceptable mp3 capable head unit. I think there may be a programming issue with some of the newer GM radios that can cause the eject feature to not work properly. I remember seeing that bulletin at work while looking for something else. It may not be worth the trouble tho because a GM dealer will probably charge you an arm and a leg to check for that.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Friends of mine just bought a used Avalanche after totaling their Dodge Dakota on the ice a couple weeks ago.

One suggestion would be a tow strap. Never know when you might see someone stuck in a ditch.

+1 on the tow strap. Other than that D, you got the basics covered.

I have a Garmin 750, the one that has everything you mention except the Bluetooth. The speaker is kind of tinny sounding, so I am glad I didn't spend extra for that. Other than that, I like it. It has more features than they advertise, and with the exception of the cheesy speaker, is a little nicer than my Street Pilot. I drive a lot of places I have never been before all up and down the east coast, so it has been a real bonus for me.

I'm not real happy with Chevy as a company, but I have been driving them for years. My current Silverado is an '03 and just rolled over 129,000 miles. It is still running very well, doesn't burn any oil, blah, blah, blah. Good luck with it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I have a Garmin 750, the one that has everything you mention except the Bluetooth. The speaker is kind of tinny sounding, so I am glad I didn't spend extra for that. Other than that, I like it. It has more features than they advertise, and with the exception of the cheesy speaker, is a little nicer than my Street Pilot. I drive a lot of places I have never been before all up and down the east coast, so it has been a real bonus for me.

I'm not real happy with Chevy as a company, but I have been driving them for years. My current Silverado is an '03 and just rolled over 129,000 miles. It is still running very well, doesn't burn any oil, blah, blah, blah. Good luck with it.
    I am reading that the FM transmitter is "underpowered" but the complaint was in regards to locations without many available frequencies. Have you used it on your 750?

FWIW, I drive about 1000 miles a year. 800 of them are the same trip that I won't need GPS for. So, I'm not a heavy traveler, this would just be something for getting around the city a little bit more.

I'll probably get a GPS separate from a replacement in-dash setup. Anyone have recommendations for a large double-din with a screen for media and a backup camera? Anyone have an aftermarket backup camera?

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    I am reading that the FM transmitter is "underpowered" but the complaint was in regards to locations without many available frequencies. Have you used it on your 750?

FWIW, I drive about 1000 miles a year. 800 of them are the same trip that I won't need GPS for. So, I'm not a heavy traveler, this would just be something for getting around the city a little bit more.

I'll probably get a GPS separate from a replacement in-dash setup. Anyone have recommendations for a large double-din with a screen for media and a backup camera? Anyone have an aftermarket backup camera?
    I've read that about the FM transmitter too, but I have never tried it. I thought about it given the mediocre quality of the built in speaker, but then I figured it would interfere with the XM radio. I can give it a try if you like and report back sometime tomorrow.

My driving averages just under 2000 miles a month. Sometimes I will do that in a week depending on where my business takes me! But my daughter, who has one of the worst senses of direction in the world has the same GPS and she loves it. The maps are not always dead on, but most of the time they take me right where I want to be. Every now and then it gets a little confused, and deposits me a mile or so away from where I want to be. That is where backup written instructions are a big help.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BzoytlSjhfS/

Catalog is free and customer service is excellent but shop around, better prices can be found elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast