Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Finding/Buying M1 Carbine for WWII Reenacting

I've been doing WWII re-enacting for several years now (on the German side), but am now looking to broaden my hobby by including a GI impression. I'm looking to find a shooter/rack grade "beater" M1 Carbine that I can modify for blank adapting, and can't spend more than $500 (thanks recession!).

Can anyone out there suggest any gun dealers/shops in the southeast PA region where I may find a used carbine of this grade that will work for my impression??

I've been to a few area gun shows over the past few months, but the majority of Carbines I've seen have been more "collector" grade, with the cheapest being over $700. I'm not looking to collect, just to have fun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Finding/Buying M1 Carbine for WWII Reenacting

I know a guy who might have one in the 6-650 range, you would have to have it sent over to an ffl on your side though...which would add to the cost.

I think you may have missed the Boat on this one, CMP would've been your best bet, But they are Sold out.

If you have a C&R license, Century claims to be getting some in for sale, But still more than you want to spend.

Keep an Eye on CMP maybe they will get more in someday, meanwhile if you aren't eligible to order from them, I suggest you read up on what's required such as joining the NRA, The Garand Collectors' assn etc...

Good Luck

~TJB~
    Recoil Happens

(Lebanon County)

$500 carbines are a thing of teh past....like dinosaurs and carrier pigeons.
    expect to pay closer to $700.
    local shop has one.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Pike County)

Keep a close eye on gunbroker and auctionarms. I saw a couple go down for under $500 on auctionarms in the past week. Since you are going to modify it, I assume that overall condition is not the most important to you, as these where not collector grade guns, although at least one specifically stated that the gun had been test fired and was fully functional. Don't forget if you bid that you have FFL costs to factor in.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by gf45acp; January 3rd, 2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add: welcome

(Erie County)

In light of the fact that you want to use it for re-enacting, and plan to modify it for blank firing, why don't you look for a Universal Carbine? These are pretty easy to find on GunBroker, and fall right into your price range. All you would need to do is drop the action into a GI stock, and you would be ready to go.

An extra benefit, since you plan to modify it, is that you would not be modifying a GI model, which are getting scarcer by the day.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Blair County)

I just checked the CMP site and they still have Inland’s for $419. You could get a LTCF and join, over the net, the Garand Collectors Club and presto, you can have one in 20 days for $419 + 26.50 shipping.

Steve

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for all of the suggestions! i really appreciate it.
    looks like i'm going to have to be patient and keep my eyes open and visit as many gun shows as possible. thankfully i'm in no rush to get one.

thanks for the welcome to the forum, too!

Depending on the reinacting group you want to get involved with, they may have different ideas. A couple of the better organized groups I have researched insist on correct weapons, which for most soldiers would be an M1 Garand, not a carbine. also, correct uniforms are more expensive than the rifles!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by metalbeard View Post
    I've been doing WWII re-enacting for several years now (on the German side), but am now looking to broaden my hobby by including a GI impression. I'm looking to find a shooter/rack grade "beater" M1 Carbine that I can modify for blank adapting, and can't spend more than $500 (thanks recession!).

Can anyone out there suggest any gun dealers/shops in the southeast PA region where I may find a used carbine of this grade that will work for my impression??

I've been to a few area gun shows over the past few months, but the majority of Carbines I've seen have been more "collector" grade, with the cheapest being over $700. I'm not looking to collect, just to have fun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    checkout a store called surplus city guns, 302 bustleton pike, feasterville, pa 19053, 215-364-7130. they have several m1 carbines in stock priced at 499.00. the gun metal is in decent shape with no rust or pitting and the stocks are OK with nicks and dings you would expect in a rifle 50+ years old. they also have a few other C&R type rifles from the ww1/ww2 era that you may be interested in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast