Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default And so it begins

The attack on carry in National Parks has begun with an innocuious article. Watch in the upcoming weeks how this is tied to firearms in National Parks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28469315

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28469315
    Suicides in national parks increased in 2008
    33 people ended own lives in such places last year, up from 18 in 2006

SALT LAKE CITY - Freshly unemployed, former business executive Bruce J. Colburn flew to the far northwest corner of Montana in search of a place to die.

In early October, he paid a hotel clerk to drive him into Glacier National Park. He spent the night in a campground and then made his way on foot to a valley between two deep glacial lakes. On a forested slope not far from the trail, he shot himself in the chest with a handgun, according to park officials.

Although his motivation remains unclear, investigators found evidence on a computer that the 53-year-old Reading, Pa., resident had searched for information about suicide in Glacier park, according to Patrick Suddath, branch chief of ranger operations at Glacier.

He clearly intended to come here for that purpose," said Suddath, who led an extensive search after the man was reported missing.

Count creeping up
    Colburn was one of at least 33 people who chose to end their lives last year in a national park. The number is higher than recent years, although the National Park Service hasn't consistently tracked suicides.

"It's some place where, toward the end of someone's life, when they're feeling a total sense of despondency, they want to return to a place of natural beauty ... for their final moments," Suddath said.

Park officials estimate people made more than 274 million visits to the country's 391 national park units last year. The vast majority are intent on seeing breathtaking vistas, wildlife in its natural habitat or places where history was made, such as the Gettysburg battlefield. A troubled few came to end their lives. Among them:

A 46-year-old carpenter with cancer climbed into a canoe and vanished in Everglades National Park.
    A 49-year-old builder blamed the economy in a note he left for his ex-wife and attorney before killing himself at the edge of the woods at Georgia's Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
    A 65-year-old university biology professor disappeared into Utah's Canyonlands National Park, telling relatives in a note he was returning "body and soul to nature."
    A 70-year-old woman left a suicide note in the trunk of her car at Arizona's Saguaro National Park before killing herself about a half-mile from a trailhead.
    Three people, in separate cases, jumped off a towering bridge at West Virginia's New River Gorge National River.
    In 2007, there were 26 suicides or probable suicides in the parks. Park Service search-and-rescue records — which are likely incomplete — show 18 suicides in 2006, 18 in 2005 and 16 in 2004.

More suicides occur in Grand Canyon than any other park in recent years. The park averages two a year. There were three in 2008.

Suicides have been on the rise in some places like Colorado National Monument, where 26 people attempted suicide last year. Two were successful, including a 21-year-old man who hanged himself from a juniper tree near Cold Shivers Point in July.

The numbers there are partly a reflection of nearby Mesa County, where the suicide rate is roughly twice the national average, said Joan Anzelmo, the monument's superintendent. But it's also a testament to people's connections with national parks, places they go to hike, escape urban life and even get married.

"They come here in the happiest of times and unfortunately some choose to come in the saddest time of their lives," Anzelmo said.

Suicides can take a toll emotionally on rangers and financially for agencies that are part of search-and-recovery operations. After Colburn went missing in Glacier, as many as 40 people from various agencies looked for him. Recovering bodies or cars that go over cliffs can be dangerous as well as expensive.

Most law enforcement rangers in national parks are also trained in emergency medicine, which includes strategies in dealing with people in crisis. Some park employees are taught to keep an eye out for notes taped to steering wheels and at least one park, Colorado National Monument, has contemplated closing certain areas at night.

Several suicides are prevented by rangers each year, but it would be impossible to stop them all.

"I think anybody that does the kind of work that we do would like to offer hope to anybody that's at that point of despair in their life," said Lane Baker, the Park Service's chief of law enforcement, security and emergency services. "But I'm not sure we can do anything to change that."
    Maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: And so it begins

I'm sure you're right that this will be spun wildly, but the new rule is not yet in effect, so it has no bearing on the increased statistics.

Also, if I were determined to take my own life, and preferred to do it in a particular place, I can't imagine that a rule (or law) prohibiting firearms would stop me (just like it doesn't stop determined shooters in malls and schools).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Butler County)

Time will tell.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm sure you're right that this will be spun wildly, but the new rule is not yet in effect, so it has no bearing on the increased statistics.

Also, if I were determined to take my own life, and preferred to do it in a particular place, I can't imagine that a rule (or law) prohibiting firearms would stop me (just like it doesn't stop determined shooters in malls and schools).
    I agree with each point, but I don't think logic comes into play when we are talking about gun control. I mean it's for the children, or the park rangers, or ummm I dunno.

What I am expecting is an op-ed coming out that says "with the recent increase in suicides in national parks does it really seem prudent to allow people to carry firearms there?" Or something to that effect. Hope I'm wrong, but wouldn't be surprised.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    What I am expecting is an op-ed coming out that says "with the recent increase in suicides in national parks does it really seem prudent to allow people to carry firearms there?"
    Sure it does. That way all of the legally armed citizens can shoot those attempting suicide, to prevent them from committing suicide, and in turn reduce the suicide rate in the parks.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

I vote that we make it illegal to commit suicide in a public place
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

How else are these people going to kill themselves? All jokes aside it's the easiest/most efficient way to kill yourself beyond poisoning.

Fortunately only one of the incidents mentioned expressly involved a firearm. Unfortunately it was also the first one mentioned, and the most "vividly" described.

Historically the suicide rate substatially increases in times of economic turmoil - It would be very hard (but I'm sure they'll try) to make the case that this has any bearing on policy change.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    How else are these people going to kill themselves? All jokes aside it's the easiest/most efficient way to kill yourself beyond poisoning.
    Probably easier than most poisons as well.

1) we're talking 33 people in one of the worst economies. yawn.
    2) it's better than cleaning up a mess someone left behind in an apartment.
    3) if I was to spent my last day somewhere, a scenic park sounds like a good place.
    4) no chance of scarring a loved one with the discovery. let a stranger deal with that shit. Maybe even luck out and let nature clean up.

Other than perhaps a family with children stumbling upon the aftermath, sounds like this is a win-win. Guns and park passes for everybody!!!

(Northampton County)

I think it's a bit of a stretch to get at an anti-gun position from this. Only one case mentions a gun. If anything I'd expect them to use this to get higher guard rails. However, as we all know, if jumping to your death makes you a criminal, then only criminals will jump to their death.

(And when it does begin, it will be with the .50 BMG and that will be 'linked' to the war on/of terror.)