Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Anyone Here Know Anything About Plumbing?- UPDATE

2 days ago, I noticed that the water pressure in my house seems to be much higher than normal. It is this way at all faucets and toilets...cold and hot water. I know it is higher because when I turn on the faucets, it not only sprays out much harder than before but I can hear a difference as well.

I am running on well water. I have a pump and an expansion tank.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?
    Last edited by TaurusGuy; January 3rd, 2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added "update" to title

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Anyone Here Know Anything About Plumbing?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(Luzerne County)

ONE possibility is that the sensor in the pressure tank to turn off the pump is not working properly..... just ONE thought....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ALPAPS View Post
    Not helpful...
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusGuy View Post
    2 days ago, I noticed that the water pressure in my house seems to be much higher than normal. It is this way at all faucets and toilets...cold and hot water. I know it is higher because when I turn on the faucets, it not only sprays out much harder than before but I can hear a difference as well.

I am running on well water. I have a pump and an expansion tank.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?
    I have never worked on a well pump. But isn't there some sort of a pressure regulator on the system?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Right where the water line comes in the house you will see a box on the line with wires going outside and a gauge near it. That`s what turns the pump on and off. Run the water till it clicks on and starts the pump. Note the number on the guage then listen for it to shut off and not the number and post it back.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ALPAPS View Post

Most people here are pretty cool...I don't know what's up your ass. Thanks for the help you douche.

To the others...thanks. I will look into what you suggested and see what I turn up.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusGuy View Post
    Most people here are pretty cool...I don't know what's up your ass. Thanks for the help you douche.

To the others...thanks. I will look into what you suggested and see what I turn up.
    That switch (box) sits in about a quarter inch piece of pipe sweated to the main incoming line. Sometime they get gunk in there and it won`t allow the switch to sense proper pressure. Don`t wait the pressure can get so high you can blow the rubber washing machine hoses and stuff.
    Does the water pressure stay high or does it feel high then as you shower drop real low?

(Wayne County)

The gauge was showing 60 and when I ran the water downstairs, it slowly backed down to 40...running the pipes upstairs, 40 seems to be right.

There is a "valve" at the front of the holding tank where the gauge is located and that valve was leaking...it's still dripping now but the pressure seems better.

Am I looking at replacing that regulator?

(Mifflin County)

Easier way to check. When you find that little box they're talking about, there's generally one nut that's usually finger tight holding the cover. Loosen said nut and lift the cover straight off. The nut generally is 'secured' to the cover, so just turn it until it feels like it's no longer on the threaded stud.

Don't touch anything inside the box. It's often 220V in there. When you have to cover off, you should see that theres 4 terminals with wires held down with screws. You should also see the contacts in there that turn the well pump on/off. When the pump is off, you'll see a gap between them. IF the contacts are touching each other, the pump is on. If you're not using any water in the house (and haven't in the last 30 seconds or so) the pump should be off. Below is a picture showing everything with arrows pointing to the open contact sets. You can see the gap I'm talking about. If that gap is closed, the pump is running.

If the contacts are closed, and stay closed, either the switch is bad, or the little pressure tube leading to it is blocked, and not allowing the switch to "see" the pressure has increased. Either way, shut the power off to the well pump before it burns up, or gets the pressure so high that things start to blow. If you're comfortable with the work, Google can probably find you a "how to" on replacing the switch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast