Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yugo 59/66 SKS

(Lehigh County)

Default Yugo 59/66 SKS

So with my day off today, I finally got around to fully tearing down and degunking my Yugo SKS that I just picked up from Classic Arms for $199. Total time was about 3 hours, from start to finish and while some rather colorful language was used during reassembly I am please with the results. I had already ordered a tapco stock set for it, and some 20 round tapco mags, but I think I am gonna hold off for abit and get me some stripper clips as I am getting more and more partial to the original look. The overall finish is quite good especially seeing what people have been overpricing lately. I hit it with some murphys oil soap and it took a good layer of crud off of the wood. I am wondering if I should try to apply some directly without cutting it with some water to see if it cleans out any more. I personally would like to clean the stock up abit more but I do not want to refinish it since I don't want to loose the rifles original coloring and wood texture.

And yea I know its just an SKS... but its MY sks so its unique. I did have a Norinco back in 99 and I really didn't like it. Flipped it to a friend of mine who still has it, and he was over comparing the 2. He now wants to buy the Yugo and sell the Norinco... go figure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Yugo 59/66 SKS

Hard to tell, but it looks like it's in really good shape.

Congrats!
    They are getting harder to come by.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    <snip>

I am wondering if I should try to apply some directly without cutting it with some water to see if it cleans out any more. I personally would like to clean the stock up abit more but I do not want to refinish it since I don't want to loose the rifles original coloring and wood texture.

And yea I know its just an SKS... but its MY sks so its unique. I did have a Norinco back in 99 and I really didn't like it. Flipped it to a friend of mine who still has it, and he was over comparing the 2. He now wants to buy the Yugo and sell the Norinco... go figure.

Happy New Year! And 3 points...

1. Good price, many SKS are now going ballistic in price.

2. Stocks and water don't mix unless you are into a re-finish.
    Try some of the spray "Orange Cleaner"; but sprayed on a rag and not the wood, then wipe down the stock.
    Get and use as many cheap-ass old T-shirts, hole-ly sox or gutchies as you can so that you are not wiping "dirty soap" into the stock by re-using the same rag all over the wood.

If you want something a bit more agressive, try cheap dollar-store rubbing alcohol instead of the "Orange Cleaner". Since this is evaporative by nature, it will be closer to the small and hyper-expensive bottles of Formby's Furniture cleaner.
    Avoid direct soaking of the wood as it will make the wood "furry" as it raises the grain - which could undo the finish.
    If you are inclined, check out the Garand sites and mil-surp boards on the topics of stock-cleaning without damaging patina and cartouche - a much heavily discussed topic.
    In fact, one topic mentioned using Tung Oil as the stock cleaning agent - but personally I didn't care for that approach as IMHO, I'd be sealing IN the dirt under the T-Oil.

3. Find some means to raise the capital and offer to buy the Norinco-labeled SKS back from you friend.
    There will almost certainly NEVER be any more CHICOM SKS coming into the USA, so the ones we have in-country is all there is for us, period - end of argument.
    These WILL be the future collectible SKS - much like the Russians, despite the non C&R tag.

(Philadelphia County)

I have used the Formby's Furniture Cleaner on the stocks of my used guns with good results. People who have seen the "before" gun were amazed at the "after" gun.

(Bedford County)

Nice find , just bought mine a few months ago and paid $279 !
    You got a great deal !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

(Lancaster County)

Thats a nice looking M59/66 for sure. Is it a numbers matching gun?

I've always been pleased with what I've received from Classic Arms.

CONGRATS!
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Philadelphia County)

That is sweet...

The Yugo's at the Valley Forge Gun Show were getting close to $400, and were not even half as nice as yours... Great buy.

Congrats, and have fun.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; January 4th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Franklin County)

great buy!
    a Yugo in good shape will be twice that before you can blink.

..and i agree with nfafan as to a cleanup method for wood

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    Thats a nice looking M59/66 for sure. Is it a numbers matching gun?

I've always been pleased with what I've received from Classic Arms.

CONGRATS!

Yes it is a numbers matching gun, which kind of suprised me. To be honest that wasn't one of the things I was looking for when I purchased this. I just wanted one before they all dried up. I had it out at the range yesterday, and probably will be out today as well and the rifle is grouping shots at 100 yards with ease. No FTE or FTF and quite a few questions from other shooters asking what it was.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    Yes it is a numbers matching gun, which kind of suprised me. To be honest that wasn't one of the things I was looking for when I purchased this. I just wanted one before they all dried up. I had it out at the range yesterday, and probably will be out today as well and the rifle is grouping shots at 100 yards with ease. No FTE or FTF and quite a few questions from other shooters asking what it was.
    Well again you did really well on that purchase sir.

Your first SKS? If so be warned they tend to multiply. LOL
    Ahh never mind. I just reread that you had a chicom back in 99. Well then what took you so long. (smile)
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast