Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Gun review: Kahr CW9 Range report

Well today started off pretty good I left the house in Harrisbirg to drive to carlisle to throw some rounds out of my Kahr CW9 and get past the 200 rounds break in period. I left harrisburg there was no wind I get to Carlisle there is snow and alots of wind WTF.

Anyhow, I set my target up where I usually start out when i get a new gun at 5 yards and work my way back, I fired 5 rounds on target in a nice 1 in group. So I eventually moved back to my normal shooting distance of 10-15 yards. And proceeded to shoot the rest of my 150 remaining break in rounds. Shot 250 rds total today.

Now the bad... Theres not alot
    1. It was COLD and SNOWY AND WINDY

2. In the first 100 rounds I was using some old Wold 115 FMJ and 3 rounds had FTF's due to Light primer Strikes, I reset the trigger and they all fired on the second try.....im chalking this up to the ammo.

3. Im used to shooting a wider gun and the back stippling on the grip while I get why Kahr did it to put as much grip on a small gun with ect it hurts my hand after throwing 200 rds though it.

4. Not as accurate as my M&P 9c....Although im going to chalk that up to the cold ( couldnt feel my hands) and it being the first time shooting this gun.

Now the Good.
    1. Trigger is Butter...very nice I like it

2. Balance of the gun is great....dosent feel cheap no sharp edges.

3. Double taps and triple taps from the gun flowed great...trigger rest is good and consistent

4. For as light as the gun is and slim as it is, I was excepting a good amount of recoil, but to my supprise it wasnt anything worse than my M&P 9c was. You can take this gun to the range and put alot of rounds through it in one sitting it pretty comfortable (minus the back stippling for me atleast) Also the muzzle flip was very low, Im guessing because the guide rod in this thing is weights as mush as the rest of the gun (kidding but its heavier than most other guide rods I have seen)

5. It ate all of the 115gr Wincester whitebox ammo (100 rds) and it ate all 50 rds of my daily carry ammo (147 gr Federal HST) with out a hitch.

Now with the wind blowing very hard and my hands numb and my face getting wind burnt at 10-15 yards here was my best grouping target. 15 rounds 3 sets of 5 rounds each. Im chalking this up the wind VERY HARD blowing right to left and it being the first time even shooting this gun ect.

Conclusion - I really like this gun, even with this gun loaded it weighs HALF of what my M&P 9c did UNLOADED and its a heck of alot slimmer in width. These were the main reasons I get this gun and with it performance today I think I found my new love lol
    Last edited by crakkajakka15; December 31st, 2008 at 07:06 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Gun review: Kahr CW9 Range report

Great review. I have been thinking about picking one of these up and you may have just persuaded me!!

Thanks for all the outstanding info.

John

(Chester County)

Thank you for your review of the CW9. I am in the market for a 2nd carry gun and I was leaning towards the Glock 19. I will head up to Cabelas one day as I know they have the Kahr's instock. The biggest selling point I like about the Kahr is how thin it is. I was concerned about the trigger though as I have not used many double action only pistols.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sig83 View Post
    Thank you for your review of the CW9. I am in the market for a 2nd carry gun and I was leaning towards the Glock 19. I will head up to Cabelas one day as I know they have the Kahr's instock. The biggest selling point I like about the Kahr is how thin it is. I was concerned about the trigger though as I have not used many double action only pistols.
    dry fire and check the reset if they let you, or better yet get some real trigger time on one. My wife has a CW9, its a great gun for being so slim. but dont be fooled, that DA trigger is smooth but it is DA and very long. IMO the GLOCK trigger with its short strong reset is much easier to get used to.

I have had some light strikes on old surplus ammo with the Kahr also, no probs with new production factory ammo. I think it might have a weaker than normal strike cause i didnt have that prob with the same ammo through my GLOCK or any other 9mm. Its not really an issue, as i mark that up to being the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    2. In the first 100 rounds I was using some old Wold 115 FMJ and 3 rounds had FTF's due to Light primer Strikes, I reset the trigger and they all fired on the second try.....im chalking this up to the ammo.
    FWIW and if IIRC Kahr was having some issues with foreign ammo (as they put it to me)such as Wolf. Basically ammo with harder primers. They extended the length of the striker (.005 or so) to accommodate this type of ammo. If it's a concern you may want to contact Kahr and inquire whether your gun was fitted with the longer design.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    FWIW and if IIRC Kahr was having some issues with foreign ammo (as they put it to me)such as Wolf. Basically ammo with harder primers. They extended the length of the striker (.005 or so) to accommodate this type of ammo. If it's a concern you may want to contact Kahr and inquire whether your gun was fitted with the longer design.
    Great info thanks man...rep

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    that would explain it

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    Great review. I have been thinking about picking one of these up and you may have just persuaded me!!

Thanks for all the outstanding info.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by sig83 View Post

Here is my Range report the first day I took it to the range. I had fired 200 rounds thru it in the back yard. I was impressed with how the little thing shot. Check out pics of my targets here.

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...tml#post345416

Good report Crackajacka. I know I am very pleased with the one I got the better half.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%