Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New Year and New Session Resolution

This is from Rep Metcalfe memo, thought you might find it interesting. BTW Rep Metcalfe is solid PRO GUN.

http://repmetcalfe.com/mail/util.cfm...7828.335&gen=1

New Year and New Session Resolution

As we all prepare to ring in the New Year of 2009, I would like to share some information with you regarding the new Pennsylvania legislative session and the New Year.

Dec. 1, 2008 was the first day of the new two-year session of the Pennsylvania legislature. After even-year November elections, the newly-elected legislators take office on Dec. 1 of that year. At that time, they begin their two-year or four-year terms to serve in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives or the Pennsylvania Senate respectively.

The first voting session day is held at noon on the first Tuesday of the following January, at which time the legislators take their oath of office. Following the attendance vote and the “swearing in” ceremony the members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives will cast their first substantive public votes to elect a Speaker of the House and to determine the rules of the House.

It is important to note that all legislation introduced in the previous legislative session expires at the end of that session. For legislation to be considered in the new legislative session it must be re-introduced for the new two-year session.

For first term members the first month of office is normally consumed with orientation, hiring staff, leasing office space and organizing the district and Capitol offices.

This December I have spent some time moving my Capitol office to a new office location within the Capitol.

Due to my seniority in the Republican caucus, I may be asked to chair a standing committee during this session. The office that I have chosen at the Capitol is structured as a chairman’s office. The new office will enable me to take on the additional responsibilities in a more efficient and expeditious manner when I am called upon to serve as a chairman.

The December before January’s “swearing in” is also an opportunity for me to plan and prepare for the legislative battles of the next two-year session. Legislation to end teacher strikes and protect taxpayers will be at the top of the list for next session.

The current economic storm guarantees that next year will be a challenge for our state and nation. Earlier this month the budget briefing given by the Governor’s office revealed that during the first five months of our current budget, July through November, our state general fund revenue was $657.9 million below forecast. The trend indicates that we will end this fiscal year with a $1.6 billion deficit. The Governor is hoping for a federal bailout of sorts to save the day.

More federal government tax dollars given to correct irresponsible state government tax dollar spending decisions will not fix our economic problems, but will create additional negative economic consequences.

The right answer is within our reach. There is fat in our state budget that can be cut to eliminate the deficit and enable us to reduce taxes. Reducing taxes and eliminating wasteful government spending in the New Year and new session will help us to do our part as a state in promoting an economic recovery for our nation.

If you enjoyed this Metcalfe Memo, please feel free to forward it to your friends and family. If you received this Metcalfe Memo from a friend or family member, and you would like to be added to the distribution list, please send an e-mail to sclarke@pahousegop.com . If you do not want to receive future editions of the Metcalfe Memo, click the "unsubscribe" link below and you will be removed from this distribution list.

(York County)

Default Re: New Year and New Session Resolution

Sounds like your Rep has the right idea about things. Now, if only he can convince the other eggheads to go along with him............
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."