Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What are the benefits of OC??

I've read a lot about this subject and I am still pondering my decision to open carry. But, all i have read is about the problems and incidents when OCing. Please someone tell me the Benefits

(Perry County)

Default Re: What are the benefits of OC??

To practice your right to keep and bear arms without any type of license, permit or permission.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Northampton County)

1) COMFORT!
    2) Deterrence
    3) Quick draw
    4) Larger gun
    5) Get to initiate discussions with folks who may be gun-neutral or only mildly pro-gun, and perhaps convince them to carry a gun too

ETA: I'd recommend the OP limit the scope of what he is asking in order to avoid an OC v. CC argument. Regardless, the way I read it, he only wants the benefits of OC...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

I prefer buttered popcorn for this thread............................................ ........

Carry in a manner that works for YOU.

(Tioga County)

Up here in the north end of the state I have had no problems with open carry. With the extensive coverage here I have concluded the problems occur in those areas that are predominately anti gun. It does appear that more LEOs are getting educated that it is indeed legal and hassling someone that is OC will not be to their benefit. As always YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo509 View Post
    I've read a lot about this subject and I am still pondering my decision to open carry. But, all i have read is about the problems and incidents when OCing. Please someone tell me the Benefits
    USNRET '61-'81

(Montgomery County)

Silence=death

When Gay Rights was only just starting the bigots would spew an unending list of lies about Gays. Spokesmen for our community would try to counter the lies but to no avail. It was not until the Gay Leaders convinced enough of us that we must come out of the closet that public opinion started to change.

When people did not know any Gays they were easily lead to believe anything. When we all started to come out and the bigots started to spew their lies more and more people would say to themselves "I know several Gays and that is not true about them". The Bigots lost all their credibility.

The same is true of Gun Owners. We all drive pick-ups, chew tobacco, live in run down trailer parks, etc. Our best educated have only finished 2ed grade. We are just too dumb to be allowed to own guns.

We need to show the public that we are the doctors, plumbers, accountants, store clerks and housewives they have always known. When they see and know gun owners it will become harder and harder to get laws passed against us.

However as a warning to those who do chose to OC. Be ready to do more than shout "It is my right". No matter how hard they might try to ruffle you up you must smile and be friendly. You must know all the facts about gun control and if possible have them handy. Be ready to peacefully answer all question with out noticing any hate from them.

Hiding the guns you are carrying can and will be taken as you admitting they have no place in that area. And that carrying a gun (or owning a gun) is something to be ashamed about.

So, do you have Gun Pride or Gun Shame?

(Chester County)

Here we go again....

Go here for Pa. Patriot's list of OC threads. http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...tml#post462700
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    Silence=death

The same is true of Gun Owners. We all drive pick-ups, chew tobacco, live in run down trailer parks, etc. Our best educated have only finished 2ed grade. We are just too dumb to be allowed to own guns.
    Hey I resemble that remark!

(Allegheny County)

I'm not even going to post in this thread...oh crap I did.

Seriously there are good reasons to OC but I'd advice you to also know the risks. But no I won't post those.
    Last edited by DaveM55; December 31st, 2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: schpelling airrer
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Berks County)

DELETED. Previously banned troll. ~Staff
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; November 24th, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast