Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Smile Question about learning how to fire, draw, safety, etc. WOMEN please comment!

Hi all,

I'm a female landlord and just evicted I don't know what number tenant but I decided now is as good a time as ever to purchase a gun for personal protection.

I went into a gun store along the way to a rental property one day and boy did it feel weird. But I'm very confident that it's something I have to do for myself and my family.

Anyway, I think I'm getting a Kel-Tec P11 or PF9. But my question is...are there any local places in Southern Chester County (or on the border of Maryland) that will allow me to learn how to fire my gun, draw and fire it and of course teach me safety.

Plus, what's the best way to carry it. Btw, I do not carry a purse....ever.

Thanks all.

Carey

http://www.SellYourPaHouse.com
    Last edited by ibyprprty; December 31st, 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Change title

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Question about learning how to fire, draw, safety, etc.

You may want to look into an NRA basic safety course.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Here's a link on Col. Cooper's four basic rules of handgun safety.

http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

If you have any friends who are knowledgeable about firearms, maybe you could go to a local range with them. Also, some gun stores/ranges will let you rent firearms to try out before you buy them.

Good luck.

Carey-
    I also recommend you take a NRA handgun course. There's a good one sponsored by the West Caln Sportsmens Club, and I think the next class starts in January. It's called "NRA FIREARMS SAFETY/PERSONAL PROTECTION TRAINING COURSE" and is run by Gabe Julian and Frank Imparato. My wife and I both took this course last year. It's perfect for the novice (like my wife) and isn't too far from southern ChesCo. They are very thorough and indoor range time is included. Be aware that the frangible ammo needed is not included in the cost of the course- and is pricey. They also talk about various carry options and other protection devices (like pepper spray). Here's a link: http://www.atglensportsmensclub.org/nra_firearms.asp

BTW- before you buy a PF9 or P11, make sure you can handle it. My wife had a real hard time hitting the target with my P11, but did MUCH better with our Colt Trooper 357- I think because it was easier for her to grasp. Bottom line- everyone's different. You might want to go to a range that rents guns and try a few out. They can also show you some carry options.
    Good luck.

(Bucks County)

im gonna agree with the nra course, its a great way to go. second, its really good to know that you dont carry a purse (women and a purse is a bit of a pet peeve of mine). you shouldnt carry a weapon in your purse anyway, for a number of reasons that i wont go into here. also there are a bunch of people on this forum (some female, if that would make you more comfortable) who would be glad to go to the range with you to help you get started
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Lehigh County)

I'm going to say that if you feel like a TARGET, you probably are. unfortunately, that is the world we currently live in. Were I you, I would acquire a defensive tool (be it a firearm, chemical spray, or stun device) as soon as possible and learn how to use it.

learning how to confidently use any defensive tool is just as important as having one. owning a firearm without knowing how to use and defend yourself with it is like buying a car without knowing how to drive...
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Allegheny County)

I'm just glad to see a "new" gun person ask this question. There has been a significant increase in gun sales and LTCF issued recently. I'm concerned that too many new gun owners are not getting any training.

Great question! Like others have said, the basic NRA classes are a great place to start.

And welcome to the forum.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Question about learning how to fire, draw, safety, etc.

Hey thanks all....

You have all been extremely helpful. I certainly wouldn't mind going to the range with someone from this forum and it doesn't have to be a woman, I'm sure I'd be comfortable either way.

Also, I actually did pick up some pepper spray the first time I went into the gun store. I figured that I should have SOMETHING until I make the decision about whether I want to get a gun or not. So I got some pepper spray and already tested it out a couple times just to make sure A) It worked and B) I knew what the heck I was doing with it

Btw, boy that stuff really does work. I just sprayed it away from me and saw it blow away from me.....but still a few minutes later my cheeks and above my eyebrows were red and burning like a mother. OMG it really hurt and I was like WTF?? So I don't know how it happened because I made sure that the wind (which really there wasn't any) wasn't blowing in my direction....I mean I'm not dumb, ya know? But somehow, it got on my cheeks and above my eyebrows. I don't think my face has ever been that red!

So suffice to say I'd never want to be a bad guy getting sprayed directly in the face and eyes with that stuff! Ouch.

Oh and I did look into the course arks spoke about....it sounds pretty good. I'll be giving Gabe a call today or tomorrow.

Thanks again all!

Carey

http://www.SellYourPaHouse.com

(Mifflin County)

I'd suggest also going now to your county sheriff and getting your license to carry a firearm. That way if/when you do purchase, you'll be able to legally carry right away.

Get a membership at a local range and get to know the people there. They'll likely know of upcoming training classes in the area, and may even be hosting some. If none are on the schedule, showing some interest could help push them to schedule something.

Practice, practice, practice.

How to carry is going to depend a lot on how you typically dress, and what feels comfortable to you. There are a lot of options, and some of the women here could probably give good suggestions if they know your typical wardrobe.

(Chester County)

Yeah good idea. I'm gonna hit the county sheriff's office on Friday (if they are open.)

And I dress in jeans 99.9% of the time and the other .1% in khakis. I generally am a sweater wearer or sweatshirt.......of course, talking about the winter.

Summer I'm a khaki shorts kinda gal with a button down shirt or t-shirt. Nothing fancy. I'm self-employed so I don't gotta get all dressed up. And I tend to like to be comfortable, hence the jeans wearing most of the time.

If you know of any ladies that can chime in, please have them come in here. In the meantime, I did order a belt clip thingy. (I can wear a belt if need be.)

P.S. Thanks again....you all are so very helpful.

Oh and I did purchase the P11 today. I had them order one of those thingys tho so my pinky doesn't hang over at the end (I forget what it's called.)

It felt decent.....and I did the rack thing (I think that's what it's called) and even loaded some rounds and it all seemed to go just fine after a couple tries. Now I guess the next big deal is seeing how I react AFTER shooting it. I know I probably should have took the other guys advice to practice shooting with a few guns first and buying the one that felt more comfortable.....but I was just impatient I suppose (plus, it looked pretty lol)

Quote Originally Posted by ibyprprty View Post
    Yeah good idea. I'm gonna hit the county sheriff's office on Friday (if they are open.)

And I dress in jeans 99.9% of the time and the other .1% in khakis. I generally am a sweater wearer or sweatshirt.......of course, talking about the winter.

Summer I'm a khaki shorts kinda gal with a button down shirt or t-shirt. Nothing fancy. I'm self-employed so I don't gotta get all dressed up. And I tend to like to be comfortable, hence the jeans wearing most of the time.

If you know of any ladies that can chime in, please have them come in here. In the meantime, I did order a belt clip thingy. (I can wear a belt if need be.)

P.S. Thanks again....you all are so very helpful.

Oh and I did purchase the P11 today. I had them order one of those thingys tho so my pinky doesn't hang over at the end (I forget what it's called.)

It felt decent.....and I did the rack thing (I think that's what it's called) and even loaded some rounds and it all seemed to go just fine after a couple tries. Now I guess the next big deal is seeing how I react AFTER shooting it. I know I probably should have took the other guys advice to practice shooting with a few guns first and buying the one that felt more comfortable.....but I was just impatient I suppose (plus, it looked pretty lol)
    I would say the NRA class also.

Want to add, PM some of our female members.
    Michele, Tootie,Mrs.Mtnjack,SFN,Mrs. Pa.Patriot,Lady Beretta, I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

They can help in ways we men can't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast