Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Comfortable Concealed Carry

I'm new to Pa., this website and my carry license. I have tried to search the threads on ways to carry a concealed handgun comfortably, didn't find an answer. (I'm not that good at doing searches.) With my usual over-focus, I have tried a number of holsters (synthetic and leather); and both wheel guns and 9mm auto. All around my torso; everything is uncomfortable, especially when I try to sit down. Only thing I haven't tried yet is buying one of those little autos (may end up with that). I really don't have a clue on this. Last holstered weapon I carried was my Colt 45 sidearm in Nam, which was, of course, outside on the hip. I know if I open carried, I'd find something comfortable. However, I readily admit to being "old school." I prefer concealed carry: I don't have a chivalrous bone in my body and I'm not giving anybody any warning about what I've got.

Default Re: Comfortable Concealed Carry

Here's an option you might consider. I have not tried one myself, but many folks seem to be happy with them.

Smart Carry

(Adams County)

Have you tried IWB and OWB holsters, what about shoulder holsters of the vertical and horizontal type. Perhaps it would do you well to first find the source of your discomfort. Find a good comfy chair, then holster up and get in and out of the chair repeatedly while "feeling" which part of the gun is rubbing which part of you the wrong way. Once you know that you can begin to consider position of the gun around your torso as well as cant and height of ride. Just a suggestion on what worked for me before having to downsize the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotter98 View Post
    I don't have a chivalrous bone in my body and I'm not giving anybody any warning about what I've got.
    If you don't have a chivalrous bone in your body, why are you asking for help?

I prefer open carry, but on the occasions I conceal, I do it one of two ways to be more comfortable. First and more preferred is an OWB holster with an untucked shirt - one that is designed to be worn untucked so I don't look like too much of a slob. Second, and more rare is an IWB holster worn at about 4:00, or just behind my right hip. That gives me the most comfort.

(Berks County)

Don't know how you're built so I dont know how much help this will be but...

I'm 5'9", 125 pounds, aka stick figure with hair. I carry a taurus pt140 (compact .40S&W, 3.25" barrel, 10rd doublestack mag) in a Comp-tac CTAC holster (kydex, 2 attaching clips, fully adjustable for height and cant) at about 3:30/4:00 (behind right hip). Ive fallen asleep with the gun holstered and not even noticed it. It took a week or so to get it adjusted so its comfortable for me, but once I had it set it's been smooth sailing since then.

If one of the holsters you have is a cloth holster (like uncle mikes sidekicker), try just slipping that into your waistband at diff spots, angles, heights, etc and just let your belt hold it in place till you find a position that comfortable for you then look for a holster that fits that.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Allegheny County)

I carry a full size 1911 OWB with a slight forward cant in a leather open top holster at around 4o'clock. very comfy, and conceals under an untucked shirt just fine. Or with a tucked in shirt and a cover garment.

I also found it somewhat uncomfortable to carry my compact glock, but over time I got used to it. I spent a more than I wanted to on a real nice leather Galco concealed belt holster and it is worth it. I also use a Fobus paddle holster which is quite comfortable as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spotter98 View Post
    I'm new to Pa., this website and my carry license. I have tried to search the threads on ways to carry a concealed handgun comfortably, didn't find an answer. (I'm not that good at doing searches.) With my usual over-focus, I have tried a number of holsters (synthetic and leather); and both wheel guns and 9mm auto. All around my torso; everything is uncomfortable, especially when I try to sit down. Only thing I haven't tried yet is buying one of those little autos (may end up with that). I really don't have a clue on this. Last holstered weapon I carried was my Colt 45 sidearm in Nam, which was, of course, outside on the hip. I know if I open carried, I'd find something comfortable. However, I readily admit to being "old school." I prefer concealed carry: I don't have a chivalrous bone in my body and I'm not giving anybody any warning about what I've got.

Spotter98,

I have carried a small auto (Kahr P9 Covert) on my ankle for as long as 16 hours with no discomfort. I prefer belt carry of my Glock23 but cannot do so at work and went to ankle carry. Lou Alessi makes a comfortable ankle rig and DeSantis Apache is my daily velcro ankle rig.

Did you ever get around DaNang Airfield in 71 /72?

Good luck with the quest.

27hand

(Pike County)

Howdy Spotter98, and welcome. With your statement that you are new to CC, I can not help but wonder if part of your difficulty may not be that you are not giving any particular carry method a chance for you to get used to it.
    One big item is a good GUN belt, a professional one made for carry. Most of the holster companies also make them. If your belt does not support the weight of your gun in will not carry correctly.
    As was pointed out, how you are built can affect the comfort. As I have gotten older, I have a generous spare tire. IWB is not as comfy for me as it was in the past.
    Holster choice is another big issue. I have a shelf in my closet filled with holsters. I actually use about 6, but have at least 60. Nope, not kidding.
    It's a matter of trying them and see how they feel.
    Try to carry around the house all of the time, to get used to it.
    For me, I have not yet found any time I could not carry my Kel-tec p3at. Small yes, but much better than a pencil. Also makes for a great BUG.

(Allegheny County)

I carry Outside Waistband because it is comfortable. If the gun isn't easy for you to carry you will be tempted to leave it home. I like a compact automatic in a leather belt holster. Actually, I carry a full-size XD alot and it is comfortable with a good holster (Desantis speed scabbard)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast