Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default classified restriction

ya think maybe it's possible to restrict classified posting to users with 20 posts or more?

seems like people are registering here just to sell stuff....

maybe I am overthinking this, just wondering out loud

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: classified restriction

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    ya think maybe it's possible to restrict classified posting to users with 20 posts or more?

seems like people are registering here just to sell stuff....

maybe I am overthinking this, just wondering out loud
    I'm not opposed to it, but I think others may be. Some may argue that they read more than post.

xdtalk.com requires 30 days of being registered plus 100 posts.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Philadelphia County)

This has been covered a few times, but: We allow this as it encourages people to register which then puts them on our mailing list which is important for when we have legislative issues.

It hurts nothing and potentially creates more gun owners who are passionate about and act on their rights.

It is very important to remember that this forum is not just a forum, it has a purpose that is greater than just chatting.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Venango County)

OK, thanks for the fast response.

I was just getting the feeling that commercial entities are registering here just to post, and I guess that being more like minded people coming together it's all good

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    This has been covered a few times, but: We allow this as it encourages people to register which then puts them on our mailing list which is important for when we have legislative issues.

It hurts nothing and potentially creates more gun owners who are passionate about and act on their rights.

It is very important to remember that this forum is not just a forum, it has a purpose that is greater than just chatting.
    I agree with this for the most part. The only down side would be if someone got burned doing a transaction with someone who only came to scam a member. I have never heard of this happening yet, but if it did, then I think something would have to be changed.

The moral of the story is.....buyer beware, find out a little about who you are dealing with and don't send anything without having something in hand. Face to face is the best way to do things. My .02 cent, I know, not worth much.

(Allegheny County)

I have made this suggestion in the past, my reasoning for it was more that people who log on and post a for-sale item and then never come back or have anything "invested" in the community have no fear of having a bad rep for ripping someone off. So they can come on, make a quick buck and rip someone off and then never come back, or come back with another new username and rip yet another member off. Once you have a name and rep that you have contributed to the community then there is something at risk when ripping off members. Just my 2c to the discussion, I am under no delusions that this will happen.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    I have made this suggestion in the past, my reasoning for it was more that people who log on and post a for-sale item and then never come back or have anything "invested" in the community have no fear of having a bad rep for ripping someone off. So they can come on, make a quick buck and rip someone off and then never come back, or come back with another new username and rip yet another member off. Once you have a name and rep that you have contributed to the community then there is something at risk when ripping off members. Just my 2c to the discussion, I am under no delusions that this will happen.
    I agree. One month and 20 or 30 posts.

(Philadelphia County)

As far as I know we have had no issues with ripoffs. Once or twice we had to help a user resolve a dispute by simply politely asking both parties to talk it over, but that's about the worst of it.

I see no problems with the current classifieds setup personally and there are more important projects to work on at the moment
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

I would be very selective about who I dealt with. That is the best advice I could give.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    It's true that buying from a new member is slightly riskier because they are an unknown quantity. But I think the free market can handle it. It's easy to see whether a seller has a track record and rep here. If no buyers are willing to take the risk then noobs will lower their prices to make the risk worth taking. If people are willing to trust a new poster then that's their choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast