Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Lanyard for Ruger LCP?

First off, I want to say hello to everyone from Dingmans Ferry. I am a new to PA having moved here recently from NJ. I received my LTCF recently also. I cannot believe how easy was to get, when compared to the last place I lived. I LOVE THIS STATE!

I recently bought a 371 prefix LCP on gunbroker and am dealing with an interstate transfer. I hope to be wearing it by next week.

So anyway, I have a question regarding the pistol I have chosen to carry. It may be the first of many questions I have. But first, let me explain the application. I plan to carry my Ruger LCP on a belt holster while backcountry skiing in state forests. My holster is simple leather with a snap retention, a desantis dual carry to be specific, worn on a wilderness tactical 1.5" belt. Somehow it makes me uncomfortable that the snap retention is the only thing securing it. Lanyard might seem overkill; but I am ex-military so I have a tendency to be redundant when it comes to securing field gear, and tie- down most everything with 550 cord.

Alright. There are no shortages of good pistol lanyards on the market. I had one, in fact, on my M9 in Iraq, of which I can buy the same type online. The question is, where do I attach it onto the LCP?

I see a hole on the LCP backstrap. Does anyone know if this was intended to be a lanyard hole? I see also that Keltec sells a neck lanyard which replaces one of the pins on their p3at. I wonder if the LCP and the p3at pins are the same size. If I could use the Keltec pin on my pistol, it would be easy enough to retro-fit one of the P3at lanyards to be worn on the waist, don't you think? Someone who owns both pistols, a p3at and an LCP, please don't be shy. I could really use your help. Also, any suggestions or ideas I wasn't clever enought to come up with myself, kindly post them, and accept my gratitude in advance.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Lanyard for Ruger LCP?

Howdy blacksteel, and welcome to the forum and to Pa. I am just south of ya, in Bushkill.
    I have a p3at, but no LCP to compare it to.
    Not sure if it would be possible, but if a p3at belt clip would fit the LCP, I would think that the end of the belt clip could be bent into a loop on the end to allow for the lanyard attachment, even cut shorter if needed.
    Congrats on getting out of the PRNJ.
    Best move I ever made as well.

(Pike County)

Thanks. I think the belt clip and the lanyard kit attaches using the same pin on the p3at. I may try reposting this on the "Pistols" forum as this is more along the lines of a "technical" question as opposed to one about CCW.

(Dauphin County)

Welcome. Congrats on getting over the wall. Hope you like PA.

I know this will not address your post directly, but a good leather holster with a thumb break WILL keep your pistol nice and snug. I wear a firearm in such a holster every day during various activities and have never even had the snap come undone.
    Jules

I haven't seen your question before and I find it interesting. I don't have a good answer for you, but if you want to post your question in front of nearly 1000 LCP owners come visit us at http://LCPforum.com/
    Howard - I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!

(Pike County)

Thanks to everyone for your kind help. I think my question has already been answered by a member of this forum. Seems the thing to do is to buy a Keltec lanyard kit. The pin that holds the KT lanyard is the same size as the LCP pin. Then replace the neck lanyard cord (by the way, around the neck configuration is something I would never consider) with a proper pistol lanyard.

Howard,

thank you for the invite to post on the LCP forum. I believe I will. I am sure to learn a lot from LCP owners.