Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default LTCF applications up sharply in Westmoreland County

Gun permit applications up sharply in Westmoreland

By Rich Cholodofsky
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cindy Plance, a homemaker from Murrysville, said she does not want to jeopardize her right to carry a gun.

So Plance, 51, along with hundreds of others since Election Day, made the trip to Greensburg to apply for a license to carry a concealed weapon.

"I don't know if times are going to change. I don't know how the new president will be about gun control," Plance said.

Applicants for gun permits in Westmoreland County have surged to almost 500 in the last four weeks, more than doubling the number of permits issued in December 2007, Sheriff Chris Scherer said.

Across the region, rural counties report similar increases that some officials directly attribute to fear that gun laws would soon change under President-elect Barack Obama's administration.

"I get calls every day asking me how many guns they can own. People are afraid the federal laws are going to change," Fayette County Sheriff Gary Brownfield said.

Obama has said "lawful gun owners have nothing to fear," but some people are not taking any chances.

"We think it's due, in part, to the fact gun owners distrust President-elect Obama with what he'll do to protect gun laws," said Rachel Parsons, spokeswoman for the National Rifle Association.

Parsons said the NRA has gotten only anecdotal evidence to support its contention that concerns about Obama's gun-control policies are causing a surge in applications for permits. It has no statistical evidence, she said.

In Westmoreland County, where more than 57 percent of voters supported Republican John McCain, the rush to apply for permits to carry a concealed weapon has been dramatic.

Since the election, the sheriff's office has issued 473 new permits. In November 2007, only 134 permits were issued. Since last January, there has been a 36 percent increase in the number of permits approved in Westmoreland County.

The number of women seeking to carry concealed weapons is growing in Westmoreland. In November 2007, just 19 women registered to carry a concealed weapon. Last month, 124 women applied.

During that time period, the number of male applicants more than tripled, from 115 to 349.

"People have commented there is a perception that Barack Obama is going to take their guns from them," Scherer said. "Since I've been sheriff, there hasn't been an event (like this) that precipitated people coming in and getting registered."

He said the rush compelled him to station a second deputy to help handle the requests.

In Westmoreland, there are 42,419 concealed weapon permits among about 370,000 residents, which means there is about one permit for every nine residents in the county.

Statistics indicate that one in 20 residents in Allegheny County has a concealed gun permit. There are about 60,000 permits issued in Allegheny County.

New Kensington couple Randy Edgar, 37, and Michelle Ament, 28, said Obama's election prompted them to seek permits.

"I came because of the election and that it might not be as easy to do as it is now," Ament said.

In Fayette, 37 permits were issued in November 2007, compared to 92 last month.

Allegheny County, where Obama won 57 percent of the vote last month, has not had the same surge.

According to statistics provided by Sheriff William Mullen, November was the second-slowest month of 2008.

"It's been pretty consistent throughout the year," Mullen said.

Gun shop owners reported an increase in sales, but no more so than the typical holiday season.

Bob Pniewski, owner of the Cloverleaf Gun and Sports Shop in Latrobe, said there is no correlation between gun permits and gun sales.

A gun owner does not need to carry a permit if the weapon is kept and stored full time at home. (My bold and smiley)

"It's like saying more people are getting drivers' licenses so they are buying more cars," Pniewski said.

Rich Cholodofsky can be reached at rcholodofsky@tribweb.com or 724-830-6293.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: LTCF applications up sharply in Westmoreland County

A gun owner does not need to carry a permit if the weapon is kept and stored full time at home.
    Objective Journalism my hairy white butt.

If this writer (or the majority of so-called reporters/journalists working today) honestly cared about "reporting the news" and "informing the public" then such "stories" would be worded to include pertinent, relevant facts; like, oh, say...

"However, it is worth mentioning that, as there are no laws prohibiting it, citizens (when not in vehicles) can legally carry firearms without having a license throughout Westmoreland County provided their firearms are not concealed. So, perhaps these citizens of Westmoreland are just merely concerned about the UFA clause that requires an LTCF in order to lawfully carry firearms during a declared emergency?"

Now, I'm not a journalist - or even an assistant editor - but, it seems to me that a paragraph like that should have been scrunched in there somewhere.

Maybe I'm being overly critical here. I mean, do journalists actually research their "stories" anymore? Maybe the writer isn't biased; maybe they are not trying to 'shape the news'... Maybe they are just completely inept - just totally incompetent?
    Last edited by Bruce; December 27th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

I may send an email to the writer and correct him on some of his "facts", including that PA has no such thing as a "gun permit", conceal carry permit, etc. and that open carry on foot without a license (except in Philly) is legal for those legally able to own a firearm.

(Philadelphia County)

At least they didn't refer to "packing heat" like the Philadelphia Inquirer does.

(Lackawanna County)

The only thime that I 'pack heat' is after a particularly healthy batch of Chili.

Methinks that reporter has been packing a wee bit too much heat of his own lately.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Chester County)

Applicants for gun permits in Westmoreland County have surged to almost 500 in the last four weeks, more than doubling the number of permits issued in December 2007, Sheriff Chris Scherer said.
    Statewide the number of LTCFs rose 60% comparing 2007 to 2006. Can't wait to see what the 2008 figures are.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Oh lordy I was packing heat earlier LOL. Sometimes when I eat some spice or another I get flared up cheeks and my face gets all hot. Oh yeah I was carrying a handgun too...

I told my mother about how York county has had a huge increase in people getting LTCF's since the election, and she said those people are stupid! The black women where she works really have my mother brainwashed. Plus she doesn't get online and see differing info, non biased info, FACTS, etc. She has had no opportunity to see what Obama's record on gun issues actually is. She is as gullible as the people who believe everything coming out of political lips. Yet she is pro gun( but doesn't want to learn to shoot, so I guess guns are OK if you like them, but for her they are icky). Makes no sense.
    LOL, I am a woman...

"The NRA has gotten only anecdotal evidence to support its contention that concerns about Obama's gun-control policies are causing a surge in applications for permits. It has no statistical evidence."

Well, the numbers don't lie so I'd say they have physical evidence. Numbers are up for LTCF and gun purchases. Even in the liberal state of DE (which voted for Obama with a very large margin) the same thing is going on. Our own AG told one of our members that they were getting over 300 applications a month for a CCDW.

But then again the City of Wilmington has had so many shootings and murders that we make Philly look like a nice place to live.(per capita) I've been personally involved with talking to several folks that have gone and gotten both guns and a CCDW. Even my mom was asking me about getting a gun and I don't think she has ever fired a gun in her 77 years.

I don't think it's just Obama but that violent crime is increasing That leads many to take self defense seriously. And with the failing economy it looks to only get worse. The news also helps when it spend a large amount of time covering the nuts shooting up places.

(Westmoreland County)

Talking Gun permit applications up sharply in Westmoreland County

Wow! My LTCF was processed very quick..guess this is why..

Jamz

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_604673.html