Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Sighting the Enfield 2A

After a nice cleaning session with the worse case of cosmoline addiction i've ever seen... I took the Ishy 2a to the range, and i feel bad because the first few rounds hit the target holders The rifle shoots really low and im not sure how to adjust. Windage was off a bit, but thats a no-brainer.

I could set the rear sight to 200-300 yards to correct, but im only shooting at 50. Besides the amount of black paint on the sight it will be a while before its free to move again...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Sighting the Enfield 2A

SMLE's sights are regulated for 174 gr bullets. If you're shooting 150 gr .308 at 50 yards POI actually should be somewhat low but your's seems to be too low.

The Brits made front sights in varying heights. You might need a lower front sight.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    SMLE's sights are regulated for 174 gr bullets. If you're shooting 150 gr .308 at 50 yards POI actually should be somewhat low but your's seems to be too low.

The Brits made front sights in varying heights. You might need a lower front sight.
    Yes i am using 150gn 308's. I'm currently looking into stripping the rifle down to metal and duracoating it so i have time investigating my options hear. But thanks for your input. Worse case i can always file a little off the blade. (after i buy a spare or two lol)

Anyone know a product that can actually strip the damn paint the Ishapore Arsenal put on these things. (quite sloppily too)

Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    Yes i am using 150gn 308's. I'm currently looking into stripping the rifle down to metal and duracoating it so i have time investigating my options hear. But thanks for your input. Worse case i can always file a little off the blade. (after i buy a spare or two lol)

Anyone know a product that can actually strip the damn paint the Ishapore Arsenal put on these things. (quite sloppily too)
    I just got my Ishy two months ago. I tore it down to nuts and bolts, and ran everything through the dishwasher on pots and pans, with powdered dishwasher detergent. See this described at http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...thod/index.asp

That removed all cosmoline and some of the black paint, and stripped the wood down nicely.

The rest of the black paint was removed with oven cleaner and a small wire brush on a Dremel on slow speed. None of the metal was marred. I sanded the wood with 100 grit then 220 grit sandpaper, and refinished it with BLO.

It only took two days to get to a clean refinished Ishy from the cosmoline, grime and grease soaked mess that cam from AIM.

I'd do it again. And when I've compared it to numerous pics I've seen online of refinished Ishapores, it looks darn good.

It needs parkerized or Duracoated eventually, but for present its mostly a dull grey fiinish. I've read conflicting reports about whether Ishapore applied a military parkerizing to these guns prior to that miserable black paint job.

(Centre County)

Well right now i found a paint stripper that seems to be working quite well removing that damn black paint. Its just going to take a while to clean her up.

As for the stock, even with just rubbing it down with mineral spirits it actually looks pretty good. But i'm refinishing 3 stocks as it is right now. So i'll wait before i start another one...

(Centre County)

Well i spent nearly 8 hours on and off, but the crappy ass black paint is GONE!. Under it, was a fairly worn blueing. But it looks sooo much better now.

I should have posted pics but that involves taking them, photoshop to crop/resize and then upload to my webspace. Eh i'll do that tomorrow