Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default House Judiciary Committee meeting in Reading, PA

I took the time today to sit in on the House Judiciary meeting held in Reading, PA, Berks County. I had prior to the hearing contacted Rep. Caltagirone, Chariman of the committee to schedule an opportunity to speak. That was well over a week ago, as of yet, no response.

In any event, it was not a well attended event, but for the committee members, speakers, a few reporters and photographers, 1/2 dozen pro-gun citizens and maybe another 5-6 assorted citizens.

Essentially, each speaker was allotted a few minutes and then answered questions from the panel. To be fair, the 2nd amendment group was well represented by the Berks sheriff and a very well spoken sportsman/NRA member.

By the questions and answers one could easily figure out which side of the fence each person sat. I spoke with some of the legislators personally, some of whom are supporting many of the "gun-control" bills being introduced. Privately, they acknowledge that they likely do not have the support to pas these bills, but they are still pursuing trying to pass the legislation. I guess they are seeking to "look good" in an effort to appear to be doing something about all of the violence in our cities.

All in all, it appears to me anyhow that the politicians are going through the motions seeking public input, but then going ahead with their ideas anyhow...despite the fact that more laws are not likely to have an impact on reducing crime and violence.

Just my $0.02 worth.

FlaSport

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: House Judiciary Committee meeting in Reading, PA

Glad to hear you attended! That hearing was supposed to be hosted by Representative Caltagirone, the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, so it was relatively speaking a pretty important event. Good report, it's nice to know we have a sheriff on our side also!

Tomorrow is the last hearing for almost 2 weeks. It is scheduled for West Philadephia at the Southwest Senior Center 6916 Elmwood Ave. at 10:00 A.M.

(Berks County)

Thanks for looking out for us at this meeting. I would have loved to attend, but it just wasn't in the cards for me this time.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

+1 on all the sentiments here. Thanks for attending, FlaSport!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Thanks for attending. I was sitting at work around 9 just staring at the clock wishing I could go.

Caltagirone is a weird dude. He was on the list of supporters for one-gun-a-month last year, and after an angry letter from me (and a few others, I am sure) he yanked his name.

This year his name was briefly on the AW ban bill.

Now he is a supporter of the castle doctrine bill. He's all over the place.

(Berks County)

I also attended the meeting today. One of the several questions asked by Representatives was about compromising. Every time I hear persons talking about compromise, I could feel rights being stolen away. One Representative from Phila. stated compromise is what politics is about. I always thought politics was about being a voice for the people you represent.

We did have several gun owners that did attend and the pro gunners that spoke made very well spoken, good articulate points. Not just made up untruths like most of the anti gunners.