Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gun magazines...

I have been a subscriber to Guns and Ammo for quite a while now. I also get American Rifleman from the NRA. My wife brought me some reading material the other day because I am stuck on my ass for a week or so due to a knee surgery. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I LOVED Guns Magazine. They covered the whole damn firearm spectrum from Cowboy Action to long range sniper style rifles. The articles were written well by people who I respect in the firearms community including Clint Smith and Ayoob. I may be sending in my subscription card. Anyone else get Guns or any other magazine worth reading?
    Jules

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Gun magazines...

i buy mags off the shelf, but i won't suscribe. i'll browse one to see if there's anything good, and if so, i'll buy it. most mags are full of too many ads, and are industry suck ups. for example, when the Ruger LCP came out, every single mag gave it glowing reviews, and touted it as the next big thing in little guns. so small! so amazing! so revolutionary!

hello? Keltec, anyone?

i do enjoy reading John Connor's articles, and Massad Ayoob, of course. anything to do with survival strategy and tactics is good. i just get tired of 20 articles on the Para PDA within 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i buy mags off the shelf, but i won't suscribe. i'll browse one to see if there's anything good, and if so, i'll buy it. most mags are full of too many ads, and are industry suck ups. for example, when the Ruger LCP came out, every single mag gave it glowing reviews, and touted it as the next big thing in little guns. so small! so amazing! so revolutionary!

hello? Keltec, anyone?

i do enjoy reading John Connor's articles, and Massad Ayoob, of course. anything to do with survival strategy and tactics is good. i just get tired of 20 articles on the Para PDA within 8 months.

I hear ya. Maybe because it was new to me, it didn't seem that bad. No ads in the back for erectile dysfunction or "the better sex" video series either.
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Women and Guns magazine.

Great for use women. And they have a forum. Gun reviews and cookies.

(you could return the favor by getting your wife a subsciption)
    If she is not a gun person then all the better.

(Luzerne County)

Thumbs up Re: Gun magazines...

i highly recomend GUN TEST. a little pricy but baisicly no ads. they arent afraid to call a goat a goat. Its sort of like consumer reports for guns.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Centre County)

I subscribe to Shooting Times and American Handgunner (I believe it's a sister publication to Guns). I also pick up Guns on occasion when I'm on the road and have nothing to read. I've been a NRA life member since 1981 and get the Rifleman. I've gotten complimentary subscriptions for Guns & Ammo at times but like others better.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

I get a complementary(free) subscription to Shooting Times, which is mostly filled with 1911 and AR-15 propaganda every month. Their gunsmith/repair article is always a good read, also the antique/retro gun review, same with the Jeff Cooper reruns. Its free, so I cant complain.

I also get a complementary copy of Guns & Ammo in the mail from time to time. Doesn't seem to be a monthly subscription, only getting a copy about 3-5 times a year. Free also, so no complaints.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I subscribe to Shooting Times and American Handgunner (I believe it's a sister publication to Guns). I also pick up Guns on occasion when I'm on the road and have nothing to read. I've been a NRA life member since 1981 and get the Rifleman. I've gotten complimentary subscriptions for Guns & Ammo at times but like others better.
    I used to get Shooting Times, but found it to mirror Guns and Ammo. Although the stories were off by a month or two. I believe those two are put out by the same publisher.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Jules

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs down Re: Gun magazines...

My big gripe about Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times is that they didn't publish any info on Obama's anti-gun record.
    I will not be renewing my subscriptions to either of these 2 magazines.
    They also tend to only publish articles about products whose parent company buys ad space.
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

Quote Originally Posted by manyplews View Post
    My big gripe about Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times is that they didn't publish any info on Obama's anti-gun record.
    I will not be renewing my subscriptions to either of these 2 magazines.
    They also tend to only publish articles about products whose parent company buys ad space.
    I agree with the "ad space" comment. It doesn't bother me too much. Have you watched a so called "hunting show" lately? It is one 30 minute advertisement.
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast