Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS Big Dots

(Allegheny County)

Default XS Big Dots

There seems to be an obsession with XS sights being unusable at any distance beyond 11.3 feet or 21.4 yards or 83.3 yards which is not only untrue but also sort of silly when you look at the stats for average distance for gunfights. XS Big Dot sights work great out to 100 yards on people sized targets (a friend of mine, and PAFOA member, Zach (fslflint) was consistantly hitting steel targets at 300 yards with a G17 equipped with Big Dots). The more I get people to move and shoot at targets the more they to become advocates for XS sights. XS Big Dot sights are not less "accurate" as many people say. People think they are less accurate for a couple of reasons. #1 They don't know how to shoot to begin with. #2 They try too hard to "align" the Big Dot sight (It REALLY is just as simple as making sure the big dot is in the shallow "V"). Forget that "dot the I" crap just put "the big ole' golf ball in the notch".

If you take "Joe Shooter" and put him on a range with Big Dots and he didn't bother to read the instructions that came with them he will say they "aren't as accurate". While you MIGHT give up some "accuracy" on the square range the advantages of being able to shoot on the move AT a moving target more accurately far outweigh any imagined need for "more accurate" sights while punching holes in paper.

I mean what are we carrying these things for anyway? The range? To merely qualify once a year? Hell no! To shoot people that are trying to shoot you. And when you are being shot at you tend to move and when you shoot at people they don't tend to stand there and take it like a man. They duck, run, and hide. I only put them on guns where the people I might have to shoot at don't want to be shot and might try to shoot me back. For practically ANY other use they are worthless.

When shooting static paper targets Big Dots might not make sense to many of you. When you are moving and your target is moving and your attacker is shooting back at you that is where having a large, visible front sight is worth its weight in gold. Take a Force on Force class and class and see for yourself how different sights work for you under stress. Most shooters will find that they can’t find smaller front sight when the pressure gets heavy and people start shooting back. Dynamic movement of both the shooter and the attacker along with sub-optimal shooting positions often leads to a failure to use any sight reference with smaller sights. Big Dots provide significant weapon orientation information even if the sights are just below the eye/target line but still in the cone of vision.

Big Dots are big for a reason.
    Last edited by JustinM; April 23rd, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

Talking Re: XS Big Dots

Finally ordered two sets from XS, a set standard dot for the wife's Kimber and one set of big dots for my Sig. Can't wait to get them installed and give them a run.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: XS Big Dots

Good! Don't freak out at first when you can't get 2" groups at 25 yards, though. You'll fall in love with them once you try them while moving and shooting. I'm not too much of a fan for the standard dot, but it's a step up from target sights in getting a faster sight picture.

Lightbulb Re: XS Big Dots

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    Good! Don't freak out at first when you can't get 2" groups at 25 yards, though. You'll fall in love with them once you try them while moving and shooting. I'm not too much of a fan for the standard dot, but it's a step up from target sights in getting a faster sight picture.

Well see, she's a pretty darn good shot on the move, even with standard notched sights, I think she'll be just fine. I'm just hoping that it will (as it should) help me with my final transitioning to shooting with both eyes open, after about an hour I start loosing the focus and end up "loosing" the front sight.

Besides, if I want to shoot 2" groups at 25yds, I'll just shoot my Browning Buckmark...

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=jdlv4_0;69318]after about an hour I start loosing the focus and end up "loosing" the front sight. QUOTE]

Big Dots will help. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, and I can still get a sight picture with big dots. I've shot many times after taking my glasses off to simulate them falling off after struggling with an opponent, etc....

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    #1 They don't know how to shoot to begin with.
    You hit the nail on the head.

In my experience, novice shooters tend not to improve when using big dots. Experienced shooters seem to thrive with them. For those losing their near vision, they can be a godsend. Regardless of who is using them, they are very fast.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Average Baer View Post
    You hit the nail on the head.

In my experience, novice shooters tend not to improve when using big dots. Experienced shooters seem to thrive with them. For those losing their near vision, they can be a godsend. Regardless of who is using them, they are very fast.
    Damn....we finally agree on something.

Default Big Dots Rule!

Pictures speak louder than words, best of 3 targets, I hadn't loctited the set screws yet, first target ws trail run, second targer (pictured below), by the time I got to the third target, the rear sight was drifting, but after seeing target #2 I know right where the rear sight should be.

Next time out I'll run the target out past 10 yards.

(Philadelphia County)

I was getting all my rounds on a 9" paper pie plate at 25 yards yesterday. Glock 19, XS big dots and wolf ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I was getting all my rounds on a 9" paper pie plate at 25 yards yesterday. Glock 19, XS big dots and wolf ammo.
    Yeah but cyborgs like you don't count, Marc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast