Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default How to trf a deceased NYPD Officer's pistol

The pistol in question belonged to a retired NYPD Officer who passed away earlier this year. His wife wants to give me the pistol but does not know how to go about it. Neither do I. Any assistance would be appreciated. I live in PA and the wife lives in NY.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: How to trf a deceased NYPD Officer's pistol

she can send it UPS to a FFL here in PA.

if UPS wont do it, any FFL can send it along to a FFL in PA.

transfers across statelines must go thru an FFL on the receiving end, at least.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Dauphin County)

She will have to transfer to to you through a FFL in NY more than likely. Then that FFL will have to ship it to your FFL here in PA

(Jefferson County)

The only problem I see is, if she takes it to a FFL in NYS/C - they may discover she is not the registered owner(NY, they gotta be registered) and has no license to even possess it. Thus making it contraband and putting her in hot water.

I seriously recommend finding a FFL in PA that doesn't require the handgun to be shipped from a FFL. And, to find a common carrier that knows not to ask too many questions.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Yeah, I'd be concerned too about ownership. Does the pistol have any connection to the NYPD? Was it issued to the officer by NYPD? Etc.

Or was this his personal gun that he bought on his own and has nothing to do with the NYPD (other than him happening to be a NYPD cop)?

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Yeah, I'd be concerned too about ownership. Does the pistol have any connection to the NYPD? Was it issued to the officer by NYPD? Etc.

Or was this his personal gun that he bought on his own and has nothing to do with the NYPD (other than him happening to be a NYPD cop)?
    NYPD does not issue handguns to their officers. They MUST buy their own, as well as all the uniforms. When I was processing with them, my cousin (who is a SGT with them) told me to have at least 2 grand saved up for all the shit I would need.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    She will have to transfer to to you through a FFL in NY more than likely. Then that FFL will have to ship it to your FFL here in PA
    Why oh why does this myth persist...

To meet Fed law it only needs to go to a FFL in the recipients state. Unless NY has some state law, she simply ships to Pa. FFL.

This is of course ignoring any normal estate legalities (for any property). But that's not the scope of the inquiry

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

IIRC & IANAL -At least in PA, by default, if there is no will, all of the deceased husbands property goes to the current spouse.
    Toujours prêt

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    IIRC & IANAL -At least in PA, by default, if there is no will, all of the deceased husbands property goes to the current spouse.
    Yes, of course. This goes beyond estate and inheritance transfers of property, its a matter of the Sullivan Act and subsequent amendments for New York's firearm laws.

In NY, the wife has only so long to register the gun in her name and get a license to possess it in the home. If she fails to do either of them, the gun is contraband and she is in violation of law.

We, nor she, wants to find out she is in violation the hard way IF she didn't do things properly... Some FFL up there go beyond the requirements of the book. And an over zealous shipping clerk might ask one too many questions.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

The wife is also a retired NYPD, so having a license is no problem. Can we simply walk into a NY FFL fill out the paperwork and then I hand carry it to a PA FFL, or must it be shipped?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast