Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default How "unsafe" is (Bryco) Jennings?

I have a Jennings Nine that I bought several years ago. At first, it misfired like crazy and seemed to be a total piece of junk. I sent it back to Bryco and told them I was unhappy with it. They sent it back to me a few weeks later and had rebuilt it and apparently did some grinding on the inside of the slide. Ever since then, it fires great. It's very accurate and reliable. It's a nice size, a little heavy, but great for CCW.

Now all I can find on the internet is articles about how bad an unsafe these guns are. Lots of forums seemed littered with claims that these guns can blow up in your hand if the firing pin hits a primer on a jam or misfire.

Is this truth or urban legend?

I can't find any verification of these rumors, just scores of claims that they are unsafe.

I can't afford to drop $600 on a new handgun, so I'd like to be able to continue carrying this gun in good conscience. But I can't afford to lose my fingers either. So anyone have any experience or know anything about the Bryco Arms Jennings Nine?
    Last edited by Flint Lock; December 23rd, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How "unsafe" is (Bryco) Jennings?

I bought a Jimenez (apparently the company Jennings became) .25 a few years ago and it's been fine. Fairly accurate and it goes boom every time. Never had FTF.

I do carry it occasionaly when my attire calls for something that small. As with any striker fired weapon, I do not carry with one in the chamber. That's the only downside.

(Jefferson County)

It depends really on the model and the individual piece.

I have an old Raven MP25 that goes bang every time, ejects every time..

People often associate a couple incidents or problems with a whole of a certain series to apply to all of them models from that manufacturer. Case in point the cheap 9mm that blew up in that girls face just recently, now folks claim the 22rf and 25acp guns blow up, which they dont.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by vrocco View Post
    As with any striker fired weapon, I do not carry with one in the chamber. That's the only downside.
    Can you expand on that?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by vrocco View Post
    I...As with any striker fired weapon, I do not carry with one in the chamber. ...
    Why the hell not?

(Allegheny County)

Link with explanation of "striker fired". Comparing Glock vs XD.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=15851
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

My life is worth more than the price difference between a Jennings and whatever I am carrying. You do as you will, but I wouldn't stake my life or my families' safety on a Jennings.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    My life is worth more than the price difference between a Jennings and whatever I am carrying. You do as you will, but I wouldn't stake my life or my families' safety on a Jennings.
    See, this is exactly what I have been reading. Problem is, this and the hundreds of other similar statements offer no evidence to support the claim that they are unsafe. Does anyone actually have any objective reason for believing they are unsafe?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flint Lock View Post
    I have a Jennings Nine that I bought several years ago. At first, it misfired like crazy and seemed to be a total piece of junk. I sent it back to Bryco and told them I was unhappy with it. They sent it back to me a few weeks later and had rebuilt it and apparently did some grinding on the inside of the slide. Ever since then, it fires great. It's very accurate and reliable. It's a nice size, a little heavy, but great for CCW.

Now all I can find on the internet is articles about how bad an unsafe these guns are. Lots of forums seemed littered with claims that these guns can blow up in your hand if the firing pin hits a primer on a jam or misfire.

Is this truth or urban legend?

I can't find any verification of these rumors, just scores of claims that they are unsafe.

I can't afford to drop $600 on a new handgun, so I'd like to be able to continue carrying this gun in good conscience. But I can't afford to lose my fingers either. So anyone have any experience or know anything about the Bryco Arms Jennings Nine?
    This might answer your questions:

(be patient, you may be forced to watch a 15 second commercial before the real video plays)

Gun Blows up in woman's face

Added with this quote is from another forum:

"The Talon however, is a gun that Can and will blow up on yourself. Davis owned it, and it was basicly the same raven/jennings/jamerez/davis type mouse pistol with a polymer frame. They went out of bussiness in about two years when there guns started to blow up in people faces.

Many people have heard of a friend of a friend who had a jennings blow up on them, but there never proof. The Talon has many documented cases of it exploding. Might be worth it to turn it in at a "buyback" but that is about it.

They went out of business in around 2001 if my google-foo is correct."

* disclaimer: I did not research the relationship between Jennings and Talon any further than finding the above quote, but you should!

(Lancaster County)

Sounds like more urban legend to me. I have a Jennings Nine, not a Talon. And Bryco Arms did not go out of business as a result of guns blowing up in people's hands. They went bankrupt after losing a lawsuit in which a kid was paralyzed because his friend was trying to unload a handgun and he accidentally fired. The lawsuit was over the absence of childproof safeties.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast