Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Thumbs up 45-70 and what ammo to use

got a good deal on a marlin 1895 in 45-70. put inlayaway. take a while to pay it off , but will have another addition to my start of a marlin collection. was wondering of a good load to use . was thinking of hornady leverevolution. i do reload so i can go that route also. was thinking of using hornady 350 grain round nose read some good reviews on it , if i go that route. will be used for big game , and just to play with at the range. realize recoil will be stiff, hoping to keep it as tame as possible . any suggestions. thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 45-70 and what ammo to use

Win Super-X 300gr JHP's print ragged holes at 50yrds, and cloverleaf holes at 100yrds in my Handi rifle and Buffalo Classic. In my Handi rifle its pretty much the only thing I use because of the accuracy. I call that gun with the Super-X ammo my "death stick for game and targets.

Other than the Super-X, I shoot handloads of varying levels of power.

With the Marlin levergun, you can use up to level 2 pressure loads. The mid and upper of which will beat you silly. Dont traipse into the level 3 pressure loads, AKA the Ruger #1 loads, they WILL hurt you and your gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

I've shot nothing but Leverevolution in my .450 Marlin 1895M. I think any .450 Marlin factory load would be considered pretty stout but I wouldn't call it brutal so the .45-70 Leverevolution may not be too bad.

Accuracy out of my gun is 2-3 inches at 100 yards off of sandbags.

According to the Hornady website the 325 grain Leverevolution .450 load is doing 2225 FPS from the muzzle while the same bullet from a .45-70 is leaving at 2050. Remington, Winchester and Federal all make a 300 grain .45-70 load that leaves the muzzle in the 1800's.

I'd say try a box of Leverevolution and if it's too much go with one of the 300 grainers from the other brands or load down some of your own loads. Regardless of what load you choose, the .45-70 has enough power to stop anything you would want to hunt in PA.

By the way, if you're looking for a scope for your Marlin, I'd highly recommend the Nikon Omega. I got one without the BDC reticle for just over $200. I've put four boxes of Leverevolution ammo thru the rifle and have hunted with it in snow, sleet, rain and cold and the scope never fogged or skipped a beat. I went with the Omega because it has 5" of eye relief and I wanted to get the scope a little farther away from my face when the rifle recoiled.

(Bucks County)

I've been using the LEVERevolution load in my 1805 GS. Accurate, not too stout, good expansion.

A little comparison pic witha 223 round.

(Tioga County)

If you're going to reload for this cartridge as I do my load is 44 grs IMR 4198, Hornady's 350 FN and CCI 200 primer with whatever case you want to use. Out of my guide gun it clocks around 1800fps and is stout but not brutual. I have shot only one deer with this round but it was a bang flop and then a few hours later frying pan time. I believe that to do the round justice you should reload for it that way you can go from mouse to elephant and not have it cost and arm and a leg to shot. I've seen Winchester factory rounds going for $33 per 20 and for me that's a little steep to shot this rifle as much as I like to.
    Last edited by dodge; December 24th, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Thumbs up Re: 45-70 and what ammo to use

thanks to you all for the input. was very helpful. will post pics of this rifle when i get it out of layaway. along with the marlin mx and my 336w.

(Lehigh County)

i have a 1895 guide gun and shoot tight groups out to 100 yards no problem with the leverevolution. I also shoot the super x but doesnt group as well for me out at a 100 yards. Are you going to scope it or put ghost ring sights on it? I have a scope on mine but I thinK i may be taking it off ever since it kissed me on the forehead.