Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Used brass casing included with new revolver

A friend of mine just purchased a new ruger. There was one spent casing in an envelope with s/n, twist, make, model, date of manufacture, etc. He heard three are shot at the factory: one casing goes to the state police, one to the fbi and the manufacture keeps one.

I would believe that the spent lead is sent to the state police and fbi for future identification. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Used brass casing included with new revolver

yup all new guns get it.

I believe ATF gets one case, the other is kept at the manufacture

There are 3 rounds fired (If I remember correctly), One goes to ATF, One is kept by manufacture and I think the third either goes to ATF as well or another gov't org.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Washington County)

I bought a Rock Island 1911 and had the same thing. Year or two ago.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(York County)

I have bought a few handguns in the past year and non of them have the brass.

Is this something that happens with all new handguns?

They do it for all handguns now. It gives me one more case to reload. The case will show the chamber marks from a new gun. Clean it and put 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it and the marks all change. You can even polish the chamber and change it. It's a feel good thing for the anti-gun group.

(Wayne County)

I've asked this question a few times too because my father in law got me a new model 36 S&W special edition in 2002 for a wedding shower present (welcome to the family, here's a revolver!) and it had the spent casing but when we got my P22 in about 2005, nothing and I just got a Kel Tec P32 and no case and my husband has gotten a Taurus .40 S&W and a Walther PPS .40 S&W since then and nothing. Oh and my Judge I got about 3 years ago didn't have it either.

Maybe only certain manufacturers give the case to the new owner?

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by watson524 View Post
    I've asked this question a few times too because my father in law got me a new model 36 S&W special edition in 2002 for a wedding shower present (welcome to the family, here's a revolver!) and it had the spent casing but when we got my P22 in about 2005, nothing and I just got a Kel Tec P32 and no case and my husband has gotten a Taurus .40 S&W and a Walther PPS .40 S&W since then and nothing. Oh and my Judge I got about 3 years ago didn't have it either.

Maybe only certain manufacturers give the case to the new owner?
    More than likely it's the dealers not including it, tossing it out, losing it, whatever. I got 2 casings with a purchase last year, one that was for the pistol purchased, and one that had a different serial number on it.........

I thought the manufacturers included the casings because some states (Maryland?) require one be turned over to one of their agencies. (Police, whatever)

(Allegheny County)

I know NY does to maintain a multimillion $ worthless ballistic fingerprinting database

Got one with my semi but not with the revolver.

(Lawrence County)

Some states or municiplities require that you submit a factory fired cartridge whenever a gun is new from the factory. The FFL sends it to the State Police, but it's not required in PA, so you usually get it...

From Ruger's website:
    Why does Ruger ship a fired cartridge case with every pistol and revolver?

Certain states require that all newly manufactured pistols and revolvers be accompanied by a cartridge case that has been test fired from that gun at the factory. The case must be placed in a sealed container bearing certain information concerning this test cartridge. At the time of retail sale in those jurisdictions with the requirement, firearms dealers must forward the test cartridge to a designated destination such as their State Police Laboratory. As independent Ruger Distributors have nationwide markets without territorial restrictions, we have decided to include a fired cartridge case with all new Ruger pistols and revolvers to minimize the possibility of inadvertent non-compliance with these laws. Retail customers located in states that do not require a fired cartridge case may be assured that the fired cartridge case they receive with the firearm at the time of retail purchase is proof that your new Ruger firearm has undergone our normal test firing procedures during manufacture.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast