Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Remington 700SPS Stock

Does anyone know what aftermarket Bell and Carlson stocks fit the REM 700 SPS rifles? All I see listings for from B&C are for ADL, BDL

Default Re: Remington 700SPS Stock

Hey buddy, maybe I can help you out a little bit here. ALL the stocks from Bell & Carlson will fit your Remington SPS; IF it's the right length of action (Long action or Short action). What caliber is your SPS chambered in? If you have a ruler, measuring the distance between the 2 screws in the bottom will help us to tell you for sure whether it's a long action or a short action. The ADL and BDL has to do with how the stock is inletted in the bottom so that the action fits into the stock. Since your rifle is an SPS, it means that it has a drop plate in the bottom, this is a BDL. The ADL models do not have a spot for the bottom metal, they're inletted for an internal magazine. This means that with an ADL, you have to rack the bolt and eject each shell manually to get it out of the magazine; as opposed to a BDL where you push the button and the bottom drops out and you can get your ammo. Hope that helps, and when you answer those questions, we can help you a bit more.

(Cambria County)

Well i havent bought one yet, i just know i really dont like the factory stocks on them. I am still tossed up between the sps and the sps varmint, either way it will be in 22-250. So pretty much if i was to get an SPS in 22-250 i would just need a B&C stock that fits a 700BDL SA, sound correct?

Tom is very knowledgeable and he helped me out. I basically had the same question over the Tactical and the Varmint.

Here's the link to the post.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/422...-tactical.html

(Cambria County)

Well i am looking at a standard 700SPS, but i just checked out one of those VTR's in 22-250 and it doesnt look bad either but what about an aftermarket stock for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
    Well i havent bought one yet, i just know i really dont like the factory stocks on them. I am still tossed up between the sps and the sps varmint, either way it will be in 22-250. So pretty much if i was to get an SPS in 22-250 i would just need a B&C stock that fits a 700BDL SA, sound correct?

I understand what you're saying. I just checked on Remington's website, and it doesn't appear that they offer just the SPS in .22-250. Was that just the chambering that you wanted, and figured they would make it in SPS, or did you see one that was not new, and might have been a chambering in the past? I see that they do chamber the SPS varmint in .22-250, so if that's the caliber you want, that choice might already be made for you.

You are correct about the stock, you will be looking for a 700 BDL, and it should be short action. On the SPS varmint, it doesn't say that it's a short action, but typically varmint rifles and short action calibers are chambered for the short action. It is possible to chamber short action caliber in long actions though, and this is sometimes done with the .308. I've never seen one in .22-250, but it doesn't mean that it can't be done. I'm just saying this so that you can look and know for sure; although, most likely it is a short action. I just want you to also be aware that the Bell & Carlson carbelite series are cheaper, and so a lot of people will end up going with them because they look like the others. These stocks are not nearly as rigid or well made as the B & C Medalist series. If you're going to purchase a B&C carbelite because it's cheaper, I would just wait until you get the funds together for a Medalist series. The reason being that the cabelite stock isn't going to really be much more rigid than the Remington factory stock (so it's not much of an upgrade), so you'll just end up buying something more expensive like a Medalist later on, when you're unhappy with the carbelite. If you do a search on the Bell & Carlson cabelite series (or other series besides the medalist), you'll see lots of stories of broken stocks, or some that have thin places in them, etc. Do yourself a favor and even if you have to wait, make sure you go with a Medalist series if you go with a B & C. Hope that helps.

Well i am looking at a standard 700SPS, but i just checked out one of those VTR's in 22-250 and it doesnt look bad either but what about an aftermarket stock for it?
    Like I said in the earlier post, that you probably haven't gotten to read yet, I don't think that the standard SPS is offered in .22-250. The VTR is offered in .22-250 also. ANY stock that will fit the Remington 700 SPS Varmint, will also fit the VTR. I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but the VTR is EXACTLY the same as the Varmint, but the barrel has the "triangular flutes with the muzzle brake" and an OD green factory stock. If you're going to replace the stock in the first place, it doesn't even matter.

I have seen that the Triangular barrels shoot just about the same as the varmint barrels, no less, no worse. You may or may not want a muzzle brake, they can aid in allowing you to see your hits in the scope, but they are LOUD. I don't personally like the extra noise, especially on a rifle that I might be using on prairie dogs, etc. For coyotes, foxes, and animals that once you make just one shot, it's mainly about does the noise cause discomfort to you, as opposed to scaring off animals. Either way, personally I wouldn't pay the extra money for the VTR, it's usually around $150-200 more expensive, and that's the money that you could put towards the stock that you want, or towards better optics. It's just the "cool" factor of the triangular barrel that bumps this price, if you can deal without it, I think the money is better spent other places.

(Cambria County)

I have seen that SPS700 listed new at some shops in 22-250 but i see what you mean that its not listed on their website. So i guess then i am looking at the varmint model of the SPS in 22-250 or call and see if someone has the standard 22-250. I would like the standard model for hunting but either would be good i guess.

But just to clarify either that standard SPS or the SPS Varmint heavy barrel would take a B&C medalist for a 700BDL? I agree that the way to go is the medalist.

I have seen that SPS700 listed new at some shops in 22-250 but i see what you mean that its not listed on their website. So i guess then i am looking at the varmint model of the SPS in 22-250 or call and see if someone has the standard 22-250. I would like the standard model for hunting but either would be good i guess.

But just to clarify either that standard SPS or the SPS Varmint heavy barrel would take a B&C medalist for a 700BDL? I agree that the way to go is the medalist.
    Yes, the Standard SPS or SPS varmint heavy barrel will both fit a B&C Medalist for Remington 700 BDL Short Action. As I said, there is the very small chance it could be a long action, but on factory guns, this doesn't really happen so yes, the Remington 700 BDL SA is what you're looking for. The standard SPS would probably have a slightly larger gap around the barrel because it is not as heavy of a contour of barrel, but the barrel channel in that stock is still large enough to fit the Varmint contour and still be free floated. It's kind of a preference thing, but most people don't want a lot of slop around the barrel, so they want a smaller gap, just so it doesn't look "wobbly". I'm not sure how much smaller that barrel on the SPS would be than the Varmint, but either way, it shouldn't affect the accuracy. I'm not sure if you've seen my build, but it has a Bell & Carlson Medalist A2. The barrel is not a factory barrel, but it is a Remington Sendero contour, which is the same as a varmint contour (in diameter and taper), but it just has a longer shank (won't matter to you). So if you'd like to see the gap and get an idea of what you'd have with the varmint barrel, just search for my "new tactical rifle build". On the last page of that thread is my barrel, and it is also 26", that'll kind of give you an idea. Hope that helps.

P.S. just because they don't currently offer the SPS in .22-250, doesn't mean that they didn't used to. If this is the case, you may just see one that has been sitting on the shelf for a few, it may be brand new, just not the newest model. So it wouldn't surprise me if you've seen one.

(Cambria County)

Yea Grice gun shop had them listed in the last flyer. Who did the camo on your rifle? Thats a pretty awesome set-up..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast