Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Dress Code approved for Pleasent Valley, being discussed for E.Burg

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/812190346

By ADAM McNAUGHTON
    Pocono Record Writer
    December 19, 2008

BRODHEADSVILLE — Pleasant Valley School District students will look a lot like Stroudsburg School District students next year — in different colors.

The district school board voted on Thursday night to adopt a standardized dress code similar to the one in Stroudsburg next school year.

Under the policy, which is available on the district's Web site, students will be allowed to wear "Docker-style" pants, shorts, Capri pants, skirts or skorts in three colors: khaki, navy blue or black. Acceptable tops will be polo or Oxford dress shirts in black, gray or the district's colors of blue and white.

After a spirited public comment period when students, parents and teachers spoke against the policy nearly two-to-one, the board voted to approve the policy in a 6-1 vote.

Board member Ryan Hinton was the lone vote against the policy, saying he believed the policy is a "drastic measure" and only began to be seriously considered after Stroudsburg implemented a standardized dress code.

Assistant to the Superintendant Christopher Fisher defended the policy, saying it would help boost attendance and decrease violence among students.

The policy is still a work in progress, Fisher said, and the district will accept input from parents and students on how to refine and implement the policy before it goes into effect on the first day of school in the fall of 2009.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Dress Code approved for Pleasent Valley, being discussed for E.Burg

My kids school has already started the dress code thing. He goes to a technical school in the afternoon. He takes a second set of clothes with him so he can change at the second school.

Just to clarify he goes to high school in the am, then the technical school in the pm.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

i like dress codes; i only wished the school would issue waivers for poorer families. with 4 kids, clothing bills every year rack up.

(Luzerne County)

The problem with dress codes are 1. You buy a set of clothes for school. 2. You buy a set of clothes for after school. Like in the example for my son as soon as he is out of the dress code zone , he is changing.
    3. The bullies will just find something else to pick on the kids for.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

I don't think it is about the bullies... think it is about the gang colors and offensive shit kids wear to school as well as the super baggy clothes that anything can be hidden in.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Mifflin County)

It's stupid, and just like feel good "gun control" laws, it won't make any real difference and will only end up hurting people like the poorer families that can't afford to buy the clothes. What will they now have to give up to buy special clothes? Considering the people spoke out 2-1 against the policy, hopefully they'll remember at election day and put in new board members.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    It's stupid, and just like feel good "gun control" laws, it won't make any real difference and will only end up hurting people like the poorer families that can't afford to buy the clothes. What will they now have to give up to buy special clothes? Considering the people spoke out 2-1 against the policy, hopefully they'll remember at election day and put in new board members.
    You are 100% wrong. I raised 3 boys 2 went to parochial grade schools and 1-it`s easier for the parents 2-kids act differently when they aren`t dressed cool. Only a couple parents spoke up, and a couple of really ignorant kids. One board member voted no and he`s about 25 years old, a Democrat and a school teacher at another district.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i like dress codes; i only wished the school would issue waivers for poorer families. with 4 kids, clothing bills every year rack up.
    Hate to say this, but Dockers cost less then jeans. Regular shoes cost less then Nike, and white shirts are a dime a douzen at most Salvation army stores. Ok so maybe a buck a piece. In dress code, the more kids you have the more you save, hand me down is popular in code dressing.

If you really want costly dressings, let your kids and the fiends of your kids decide what they should wear.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    You are 100% wrong. I raised 3 boys 2 went to parochial grade schools
    In you opinion, but a parochial school isn't the same as a public one. Comparing apples and grapes.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    In you opinion, but a parochial school isn't the same as a public one. Comparing apples and grapes.
    My kids did both. Funny though at the board meeting only one board member voted no. A liberal, young, Democrat, school teacher. My wife was at the meeting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast