Just kind of a nit-picking thing really, but has me curious. In the media (TV & print) when they refer to a township in Allegheny County, it seems like they always say just the name and not the word "township".

As in this story I just saw on the Post-Gazette website:

Carjacking victim found shot in O'Hara
Thursday, December 18, 2008

A man was in critical condition last night after his vehicle was carjacked and driven to a convenience store in O'Hara, where police found him shot twice in the chest.

County dispatchers said the unidentified 44-year-old man was carjacked in his red Chevrolet Cobalt just before 10 p.m., shot and driven to O'Hara. Police found him at a GetGo convenience store at 1081 Freeport Road, near Waterworks Mall.

I've noticed this for several years now and it seems like in the past they would always include the word "township" when in fact referring to a township.

I suppose this happens in other places too, besides Allegheny County, but I just happen to notice it there, because I am familiar with these areas as townships.

I'm not sure of the exact date this change went into effect, but I was not informed LOL!

Anybody know why they do this differently than in the past? Just to save time and space?

At least the first time they use the name they could say "township".