Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default sportsman permit

Hello I just got a sportsman permit and I was wondering if i can carry a semi auto
    pistol open carry while I fish.

Thank's

(Bedford County)

Default Re: sportsman permit

I'm not 100% sure since the law changed this year...but I don't think so.

You can carry a revolver while fishing.

People with LTC can now carry an auto while hunting or fishing, because we will claim that the gun is for defense. Since you don't have a LTC, you can't carry any gun for defense.

Are you under 21? If not...do yourself a favor and get a carry permit. Then you will be legal, and wont need the Sportsmens Permit.

(Northumberland County)

While it costs more, best advice is to go get a LTCF from the sherrif's office. Sportsmen permit is a very narrow permit, whereas the LTCF covers you for any activity. Now including carrying a semi while hunting or fishing.

(Luzerne County)

A SP allows you to carry concealed, so if you plan on open carry while hunting or fishing you would not need the SP.

With a SP you could always carry a semi-auto while fishing.

I thought PA was an open carry state, so you wouldn't even need a permit to open carry. You should just get your CCW it's real easy and you don't have to worry about it.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    A SP allows you to carry concealed, so if you plan on open carry while hunting or fishing you would not need the SP.

Thanks for the info Steve.

I never had a SP and wasnt sure on the auto ruling. When I'm fishing I carry a .38 snubbie that allows the reliable use of snake shot ammo.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

Hello everyone, Ive been reading this forum for a little while and decided to register as all of you, especially Steve, seem to have a good knowledge on the laws. My question is I live in NJ...Yeah I know...lol and just got my PA sportsmans firearm permit, Ive quoted Steve because I read on the PA State Police website that "A Sportsman's Firearm Permit is NOT a License to Carry a firearm concealed" so I was wondering if I can actually carry a loaded concealed semi auto pistol on my SP firearm permit along with my PA fishing license on my body and in a car, if not in a car, can I drive with it holstered on my body unloaded with a full magazine in my pocket as long as I am going to fish somewhere in PA? I really want to be 100% legal and am a little uneasy considering being so used to the anti-gun state that I live in.

(Luzerne County)

A SP is not a concealed permit, meaning you cannot carry concealed when you are out and about town like you can with a regular LTC.

In other words, with the SP you can carry concealed when carrying in conjunction with a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license. Which of course means you have to be hunting, fishing, trapping, going to or coming from those places. If you are not actively doing any of those activities, you cannot carry concealed if all you have is the SP. If you are driving to or from the place where you were hunting, fishing or trapping you can carry a concealed loaded weapon on you. However, the law implied that you are going from Point A directly to Point B, with no side trips.

So you cannot run to the store to pick up a quart of milk if all you have is an SP. You would need a regular LTC.

6106 Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (b) Exceptions-
    (9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such per*sons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

(10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.*

(1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sports*man's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; July 12th, 2007 at 05:08 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Steve pretty much explained it...

You cant have a loaded pistol in a vehicle with only a Sportsmans Permit, but that permit covers you with transporting your pistol in PA empty to/from your sporting location, and while carrying concealed during your outdoor activity.

For you NJ, NY, MD folks - I recommend that you get a FL CCW permit someday to give yourself the full benefit of coverage.

Those in other nearby states are either Shall Issue or strongly May Issue(Delaware) - and those can get a PA nonresident LTCF once you have one from your home state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Im a bit confused because what you stated contradicts what Steve said, Steve said that I can carry a loaded pistol concealed while driving to or from and you say I cant???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast