Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default The Not-so-Freecreditreport.com lie.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Five months ago I signed up for a Freecreditreport.com account just to compare their report with my credit union's report. Yes I am that guy who wants to know the fine details and make sure everything jives accordingly.

I signed up for the free account and was constantly receiving offers for their pay service. I only used the service once to compare and since I could not find any differences I did not go back or every agree or signup for a pay account.

Well the joke was on me because in the five months following I was billed $14.95 every month. I finally caught it at the end of my Visa statement and crikey am I pissed.

This website explains in detail what happens.
    http://www.cancelcictripleadvantage.com/

So if you have an account and don't mind paying for something you can receive yearly for free, continue being you. However if you have signed up and can't figure out why that pesky credit card won't get payed down there is most likely your culprit.

Just passin this on because I am pissed and don't want this to happen needlessly to people whom I am fond of.

Default Re: The Not-so-Freecreditreport.com lie.

You have to read these sites when you sign up and I do mean READ them!

I just got my report last week and saw that I had 9 days to cancel before they started charging me the $14.95 ... and made damn sure I called before that 9 days was up.

But even I get screwed once in a while. I bought new business cards from Vista Print about a month ago and they have one of these damn 12 page 'trying to sell you more shit' checkouts (like freaking GoDaddy) ... well somewhere I forgot to 'uncheck' some box because low and behold this morning my card got whacked for $14.95 for something called business max. After tracking them down and finally getting some woman on the phone and finding out how they did this I let loose with both barrels. The woman even said "you don't need to use that kind of language" told her "Fuck you, you people are damn lucky you are talking to me and not my attorney or the attorney generals office now refund my fucking money NOW" .... Needless to say they refunded it immediately

But lesson learned (again) always read the details on anything you buy or sign up for online.

I do agree those, these god damned websites that are always trying to sneak on in on you should be put out of business.
    Last edited by dc dalton; December 15th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.

(Delaware County)

This is the official site for free credit reports.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

(York County)

I knowingly (i'm an idiot) signed up for their "triple advantage" service so i could get my credit score. I then promptly forgot about it and a year later I realized i had never cancelled it. when I called to cancel it they offered me a month free, then 2 months, then 3 months. Every time I said no and i was not interested. The guy got to 6 months free and I lost it (said some not so nice things) and told him that if I got charged again for their BS service I would sue their asses off.

Now I have a credit card that has a credit score monitoring feature with it :-) and it's free!!

(Lawrence County)

Momma always said, "CREDIT CARDS ARE THE DEVIL!"

so i stay away from dem!
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    This is the official site for free credit reports.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
    If you go through the site above, there is no catch, and nothing extra to sign up for in order to get your report. By law, you can receive one credit report from the top 3 credit reporting services per year. These must be free and do not require that you sign up for anything additional.

I have dealt with this before. A rational phone call to customer service and I had my money refunded.

But the bottom line is that you agreed to this service. It was nothing that they tricked you into. You must read the fine print and disclosures.

(Monroe County)

be happy they've changed it! I tried to get my report from them about 5 years ago and they charge you a full year later for whatever "protection" they supposedly offered but it was like 149.99 in one shot... took me about 2 hours of being on the phone with my bank (hit my bank account so it was a loss of money, not a disupte on a credit card).

Finally got through to them and they offered me 6 months free... told em to go F themselves and demanded they pay me or I would file a complaint with my bank as theft... they gave it back quickly
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

I fell for the 30 days free offer because I wanted to see my "score" vs. what I know I can get free from www.annualcreditreport.com . After a couple weeks I checked my report and all the data was the same as day one. Same for three weeks, so I called to see why no updates. It turns out, they only update the information every 45 -60 days, so in reality, getting 30 days free was no different than getting one day free. I called to cancel, and had no problems or surprise charges.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

There are times those services are useful. A few years back our mortgage company had a few back-up tapes stolen and compromised the mortgage info of something like 1.2 million account holders or something. We got a year of the credit monitoring service for free from the mortgage company. We were told that the info is updated at the end of every month, but that if a new account was opened it would show up real-time. We were able to make adjustments that improved our credit score and could see the changes. Sort of like going on a diet and being able to see the results. The other advantage is that we were able to be sure we didn't have any issues.

(Allegheny County)

But they sure got a catchy tune on their commercial, sometimes i sing it all day...

Shoulda gone to freeee credit report dot com, yee haw..

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast