Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default I need some help with a wood burning fireplace insert

I bought a used fireplace insert, but the insulation strip that goes around the door has come off. I have it, but don't know what to use to reattach it that can take the heat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, it's an older model with a 8" flue opening. Based on what I've read, newer ones are designed for peak efficiency with a 6" flue all the way up the chimney. I think it's also supposed to be a measure of protection from higher than normal heat an insert can produce vs. an open hearth. I've also gotten a quote from a pro on what needs to be done, but he couldn't hide the shining $ $igns in his eyes when he told me I'd need 30' of tubing. One reason he gave is that if one side of the chimney is exposed to the outside cold, the heat from a wood stove or insert can crack a chimney, but my chimney is in the middle of the house so that didn't convince me.

I'm not trying to be lazy or cheap, and I don't want to put my family at risk, but I also don't want to put in a lot of effort and money if it's not really needed. This brings me to another question. If any of you folks use inserts or wood stoves that use a fireplace chimney, do you think it's really necessary to put a metal flue all the way up the chimney, or can I just put in a certain length without damaging the chimney or putting my family at risk?

(Venango County)

Default Re: I need some help with a wood burning fireplace insert

We just use a high temp silicone adhesive available at any hardware store to "Glue" the door seal ropes in the Outdoor Wood Boilers we sell.....

as far as the flue...not sure why you would need anything "inside" the chimney, we really don;t deal with that.
    I know my wood stove we used to have never had an extra liner in the chimney, but then again we had a chimney fire once, so who knows..
    Last edited by markheck1; December 14th, 2008 at 02:41 PM.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    We just use a high temp silicone adhesive available at any hardware store to "Glue" the door seal ropes in the Outdoor Wood Boilers we sell.....

as far as the flue...WTF????

what do you have in your chimney presently?
    I'm not sure, but I assume it's the standard mason (?) flue that's in any chimney built for a wood burning fireplace. Complete with the typical damper at the bottom that will only work if you're head's positioned perfectly under it to get a faceful off soot when trying to open or close it.

Christmas is less than two weeks away, so if I see him, I'll ask Santa if my flue looks normal to him.

(Lebanon County)

Just so you know...on the main page when you scroll down to the lounge, if this is the last thread that was posted in, the thread title is so long that all that shows there is "I need some help with a wood". Struck me as funny.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I'm not sure, but I assume it's the standard mason (?) flue that's in any chimney built for a wood burning fireplace. Complete with the typical damper at the bottom that will only work if you're head's positioned perfectly under it to get a faceful off soot when trying to open or close it.

Christmas is less than two weeks away, so if I see him, I'll ask Santa if my flue looks normal to him.
    HEH...I read the last part of your OP, and changed my reply a bit...evidently while you were typing this, LOL

(Venango County)

BTW...I'll check at work and see exactly what we use for the doors, if can wait till tuesday

(Bucks County)

Bite the bullet and put in a full liner. My stove will actually fill the house with smoke and or melt with a full open flue. Plus the liners will heat up quicker and will prevent Creosote from forming. Their also easier to clean.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Just so you know...on the main page when you scroll down to the lounge, if this is the last thread that was posted in, the thread title is so long that all that shows there is "I need some help with a wood". Struck me as funny.
    I just find a post from soberbyker and look at his sig line if I have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    BTW...I'll check at work and see exactly what we use for the doors, if can wait till tuesday
    That would be great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Bite the bullet and put in a full liner. My stove will actually fill the house with smoke and or melt with a full open flue. Plus the liners will heat up quicker and will prevent Creosote from forming. Their also easier to clean.
    Easier to clean, now you're speaking my language. Thanks!