Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Stoeger Condor Competition O/U

Does any one own or know anything about the Stoeger shotguns, I know they are made by Benelli. I would like to try some trap and sporting clays but don't want to spend major money and find that I don't like the sport. It seems like it has all the features I'm looking for. Adjustable comb, 30" ported barrel and interchangeable choke tubes.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Stoeger Condor Competition O/U

Stoeger shotguns are not made by benelli.

Stoeger and Benelli are sister companies along with Franchi and Beretta. Benelli imports the Stoeger shotguns into the U.S.

Benelli shotguns are higher quality made in Italy. Stoeger shotguns are made in Turkey.

Condor shotguns are hit and miss. For every bad one you hear about, you hear of ten people that love theirs.

All Stoeger warranty work is done in the Benelli MD. facility.

I have shot and worked over a few Condors' and they are not as bad as I thought they would be.

I would throw away the shitty recoil pad and install a real one. I would also unhook the automatic safety...but thats just me. It is very simple to do.

Every time you close up a Condor you must remember to take the safety off. I have seen many clay shooters call for a bird, but forgot to take off the safety. Removing this "feature" is simple.

(Allegheny County)

There's a big problem with what you just said, bud. They aren't made by Benelli, they are IMPORTED by Benelli. Some Stoegers (some of the auto loaders I think) are made in the same factory as the Benellis, but make no mistake, a Stoeger is not a Benelli with a different name stamped on it. There is a reason Stoegers are one fifth the price of Benellis. There's a world of difference between the two. That being said, I've heard mixed reviews on the Stoegers. I've heard that the Condors very functional guns from everyone I know that has one. They're certainly not anywhere near the quality of a Benelli or any of the high end Italian guns. They're not even in the league of nice Spanish guns. They're functional, but they're ugly and clunky. You might find one with nice wood if you look hard enough, but the wood to metal fit is almost always going to be rough and there is nothing nice about the checkering. Personally, I can't remember ever seeing a Condor with any engraving, but that might just be my memory failing at 11 PM. They are what they are. Don't kid yourself, you're not getting anything fantastic. You're not buying a Ferrari, you're buying a Chevy Cobalt. If that suits you, then go for it.

OOPS, you beat me to the part Benelli not making them. The thing with the automatic safety, though...I think that is an across the board thing with doubles. I know that's the case with mine. From a safety standpoint, I strongly disagree with modifying the safety in any way. It's better to get in the habit of disengaging it before you shoot than it is to start hacking away at mechanical parts. IMHO
    Last edited by BigMikeM31; December 14th, 2008 at 12:14 AM.

(Dauphin County)

I have a friend that i use to shoot clays with and i have seen him probably put atleast 2500 to 3000 rds through his stoeger condor 12ga he bought in 2003 and it hasn't let him down yet. Although that safety switch thing dose get a bit annoying its not a deal breaker though. It can be disabled easily like said above.

(Schuylkill County)

Oh my mistake on the Benelli / Stoeger relationship, That's why I ask. I'm in no way a shotgun fanatic, I mostly shoot High power or small bore and I'm just looking for something else to play with. So do you guys think it might be a decent starter gun.

(Bedford County)

Big Mike -

I respect what you say about the safety issue. I said IHMO the auto safety needs to be removed. Thats not for everyone.

I'm a serious sporting clay shooter that just happens to like the Browning Citori line. When my guns are on SAFE they are on safe. When they are on FIRE they stay on fire. They do not switch themselves from fire to safe when you open the action like the Condor.

For a Competition gun like the one we are talking about here... the gun is never put on safe during a shoot. The gun is loaded only while in the box, fired...then unloaded and carried with the action open, mostly slung over your shoulder.

For a field gun, I may or may not want a automatic safety. It's up to the shooter. I have unhooked hundreds of Beretta and other brand shotguns over the years.

If I was to unhook the automatic safety, I would tell him to take the gun to a gunsmith that knows what he is doing...such as myself. I never "hack" anything.

I owned a Stoeger Condor Combo, 12/20. It was ok and I shot trap and skeet with it. It was a field grade gun. You get what you pay for. I bought a Benelli (SBEII) and I couldn't get ride of the Condor fast enough...once you shoot quality, forget the low end stuff. Anyway, I took the Condor goose hunting and it would not fire 3" shells...its rated for 3" but it would not fire them. I asked around and I was told the same thing happened to other hunters...
    Overall, just a first time shotgunner, go for it...ready for some serious shooting, you'll upgrade!

(Bedford County)

If you like it, buy it!

I tell newbies that you will never get a high quality O/U shotgun for under $1000. You can get a good semi-auto gun for under $1000.

Two of my favorite O/U shotguns in the $1000 ballpark are the Ruger Red Label and the Winchester Select Energy Sporting. I have hundreds of rounds through both and really like them for the money.

You can look for used Brownings, Beretta White Wing 686's, SKB's, Veronas and others.

For autos take a damn hard look at the Winchester Super X2 Sporting. They quit making them, and they have a few on Gunbroker in the $600 range...great gun.

The Remington 1100 makes a good sporting gun, and so is the Beretta 3901.

Like I said...I hear alot of horror stories about the Condor. I expected much worse than the few I worked on over the years. IMHO they are better than the EAA IZH27 later named the Remington Spartan.

(York County)

I have one , never had a problem , I like it alot.

I have a Condor Supreme. It is Made In Brazil. I have about 4 thousand rounds through it. Some things to do to the condor or for that matter any Stoeger is right out of the box clean the action real good they use some type of real sticky packing oil on the gun when it ships. The stuff stops the firing mechanism from shifting to the unfired barrel. Every 700 rounds I have to clean the real good as in take the stock off. I have gotten in the habit of releasing the safety every time I shoot. I did not like the idea of disconnecting the safety. There is some shallow engraving on each side of the receiver and I found a place that had a bunch of condors and took the time to pick out one with very nice distinctive wood. I did add an adjustable recoil pad after the first thousand rounds. My trap average with the gun is 23 with a some 25 thrown in for good measure. I have since bought a 20 ga coach gun which is a hoot to shoot, and I am looking at their sxs for phesant hunting next fall. The key with my Stoegers have been clean it real good in the beginning and then clean it good after every 700 rounds.
    For the money they are hard to beat good luck
    Grizz
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast