Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default good Price on SKS?

i was browsing a new shop that opened in WV and they had a used Norinco SKS with chinese markings on the side of the reciever for $199

it seems to me in decent shape, other than having cosmoline all over it. the bolt seemed to be good, it had a scope (didnt see a brand name) and 'see through' mount already on it.

i really don't have any experience with them so i dont know what exactly to look for and i've been wanting an SKS for a while. it looked to me like it was in need of some good ol' TLC, which i would surely give it in way of a total stock refinishing, but if its's not a good price than i'll probably pass.

what do you guys think? yea or nea?

Thanks.
    Adam

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: good Price on SKS?

I don't know that much about them but I was actually just talking to a buddy that has a handful of them and he said that $2-300 was about what they were going for right now so I would go for it if I were you.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    I don't know that much about them but I was actually just talking to a buddy that has a handful of them and he said that $2-300 was about what they were going for right now so I would go for it if I were you.
    wow that was fast. i was thinking it was a pretty good deal and my brother who was with me thought the same. so maybe i will go and see if they will do a lay-a-way (forgot to ask them) and make a couple little payments until i get paid again

thanks for the input.

(Lancaster County)

If the gun has not been modified, and it's in decent shape, $199. is a STEAL.

(Fayette County)

The only modifications are the scope and mount kit you can buy for an SKS. Other than that, I didn't notice anything.

Most mount kits on the SKS are built into the receiver cover, and can easily be changed over with a stock cover. This is not a critically numbered part, and can be swapped out cheaply.
    I was curious about the going price on Norincos now, as that sounds like what your looking at.
    I just picked on up in a pawn shop down here last week. The guy was asking $180.00, but, since it had been a pawn, I walked out with it after offering $150.00 plus tax.(but it is missing the cleaning kit held in the butstock, and the cleaning rod and bayonet)
    It is also a Chinese Norinco, with all matching numbers ( receiver, magazine, and trigger assembly)
    I was lucky, as the cosmoline was all cleaned off of mine also
    Your getting a good deal also, as I was looking at prices now in the latest Shotgun News tonight.
    The Yugos with the Grenade launching adapter seemed to be all I could find, and they are in the $250 to $279 range.
    Good luck and safe shooting.
    By the way, look at what y'all have done. I was a perfectly happy Mauser man until you all started talking semi-autos. So, I just had to go get me another one.
    I had already sold all the ones I had owned to stick with custom bolt rifles.
    Shame on you all.

Stupid me, I just re-read your initial thread, and you stated that this is a Norinco. DUH!!!!!!!!!!
    By the way, push in the little circle plate in the middle of the Butt plate, and seee if it has it's cleaning kit in there.
    The cleaning kit will include a tool used for tripping the lever that holds your upper handguard/gas tube assembly, and should also include a gasport cleaning tool, which looks like a punch.
    See if they will also include a manual with it, even if you don't need it, it is nice to have.
    Safe shooting

I'd go back and buy it right now.

(Fayette County)

well i went and picked it up. my very first SKS

after i looked it over, turns out all the numbers match.no cleaning or takedown accessories though. i'm guessing it was a gun that somebody used for hunting. has some small rust spots on the barrel. nothing a little love won't fix.

here she is

(Lancaster County)

Nice rifle. You did well on the price.

SKS parts are cheap. So, if you were inclined to return it to original configuration w/ the cleaning kit, cleaning rod, bayo & sling, it probably wouldn't cost you more than $25. or $30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast