Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default To all the people who ask 'why carry..."

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

"...a gun at a soccer game?", I offer this as an example.

http://www.ksbw.com/cnn-news/18194972/detail.html

and

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/crim..._lakewood_socc

Nah, it could never happen here. Freakin' sheeple.

SFN:You Go Girl!
    Last edited by RocketFoot; December 13th, 2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: No profanity or masked profanity in thread titles...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Default Re: To all the a-holes who ask 'why carry..."

The response would be that they wouldn't be shooting at each other if they all left their guns at home.

Of course, if all the law-abiding people leave their guns at home, we won't have shootouts, we'll just have shootings.

In any game where you rely on honesty and self-restraint, the crooks win. We had a good example at Virginia Tech, where everybody left their guns at home. Well, ALMOST everybody...

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: To all the people who ask 'why carry..."

Well the first story suggested that it could have been gang related so I don't know about law abiding citizens leaving their guns at home having any affect on that one. (not that you don't know that...just saying in response to some anti trying to make that argument)

I remember a story about a soccer playing being shot in the face during a game during a shooting. I believe it was a random shooting and not even anyone AT the game. The police NEVER caught the kids who did it because of course when seconds counted they were minutes away....by the time they got there the kids were long gone. I say kids but I don't remember how old they were estimated to be...I just remember it was on the younger side. It wasnot a law abiding act that resulted in that child being shot and I can't remember if there were other injuries. It was awhile ago that I read the article. My point is that when the shooting started there was just mass hysteria and no one was able to take any action to defend themselves when they heard the first shots and of course, out on a wide open soccer field they had nowhere to take cover. I mean, a soccer goal or some folding chairs are not really going to do ya much good out there....

It's amazing how people always think there's a "right" time and place to carry. Obviously, if you carry always, it's there when and if you need it. People don't question keeping a fire extinguisher at home, and as far as the people I know none have had a fire of any kind in their house.
    But somehow, with firearms it'll NEVER happen. Tell that to the victims.

(Lebanon County)

I posted a more lengthy and in-depth post on another board, back when this epiphany first occurred to me. Basically it goes like this.

After a long day while laying in bed just at that time between awake and asleep it dawned on me the answer I've been looking for all day. The answer to that question of "why carry", and the "we're a civilized country", "this isn't the wild west" and "do you expect the Mongol hoards to come in to pillage the village". These comments often put me on the defensive, but this night in the in between time, my eyes were open wide and the answer presented itself. The answer is simple. Of course it's not the wild west. The Huns, Franks, and Vandals are not in the National Forests, Gengas Khan is not bringing his hoards out of the Grand Canyon of PA, or any other place. AS for Civilized, I'll argue that point, there are mall killings almost on a monthly basis, there are gangs running the cities, drug gangs have taken over the national forests for their "farming". The Franks, Goths and Visigoths are gone, but now we have the Crips, Bloods and MS13. No the Barbarians are no longer AT the gates, they are at the Malls, and around the corner in the crack house. The names have changed, the tactics of terror and exploitation have not. I carry because the barbarians are here, inside the gates, and the authorities are out manned and out gunned, so I take responsibility for myself, my family and my community.
    Last edited by theshadow; December 15th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.