Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default Any "Dog Whisperers" Here?

I have a situation in my house right now. I bought my wife a female golden retriever puppy last week. We already have a seven year old neutered male Shih Tzu that has been our "baby" all his life. I chose the golden because supposedly they are very friendly with other dogs. Chose a female because I thought the shih tzu would be better with that.

Well, after eight days, the shih tzu still will have absolutely have nothing to do with the puppy. As soon as the puppy is out of her cage, he heads for the laundry room to hide. The puppy does try to chase him to play, but I guess since she is already a little bigger than him, he's scared.

Right now, on advice from our dog groomer, I'm keeping the puppy on a leash even in the house, in hopes that the shih tzu will start to feel more secure. My worry is that by the time they become friends (if ever) the golden will be big enough to actually hurt the shih tzu.

Anyone else experienced anything similar? Suggestions?
    NRA Benefactor

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Any "Dog Whisperers" Here?

I WHISPER TO MY DOG EVERY DAY.... only cause i don't want my wife to hear me put death threats on our dog. haha.

(I SWEAR TO GOD DOG.... IF YOU EAT ANOTHER SANDWICH THAT I PUT UP ON THE TABLE I AM GOING TO PUT YOU DOWN!!!!)

BUT on the order of your question.... the leash is a very good idea. i used to own a shih tzu. her name was abigale. i know how fineky they can be.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Berks County)

As long as they are not being violent with each other you should just let them work it out between them. Of course since you are talking a puppy it might be a good idea to take her outside and really work her butt off to the point where she is absolutely drained and then keep them in the same room together. They are really going to have to work out their own pecking order but by tiring the pup out she will be more calm in her dealings with the older dog.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    I WHISPER TO MY DOG EVERY DAY.... only cause i don't want my wife to hear me put death threats on our dog. haha.

(I SWEAR TO GOD DOG.... IF YOU EAT ANOTHER SANDWICH THAT I PUT UP ON THE TABLE I AM GOING TO PUT YOU DOWN!!!!)

BUT on the order of your question.... the leash is a very good idea. i used to own a shih tzu. her name was abigale. i know how fineky they can be.
    Haha...I do the same to my dog, but much more colorful language! LOL

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    As long as they are not being violent with each other you should just let them work it out between them. Of course since you are talking a puppy it might be a good idea to take her outside and really work her butt off to the point where she is absolutely drained and then keep them in the same room together. They are really going to have to work out their own pecking order but by tiring the pup out she will be more calm in her dealings with the older dog.
    I am going to agree. If there is no fighting let it ride. I would not force them to be together.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

agreed you should let them work it out, i have 4 very large dogs and a lil kitty cat and they get along (for the most part). it can be much easier if the dog is a puppy as the older dog will tell it when its had enough and the puppy will get it. even if the older dog is smaller, same thing with cats generally, the cat will tell the dog where to go (hell) heh. just a short fyi... goldens are not known for their friendlyness and even temperment in the REAL dog world

(Monroe County)

The key is you are the alpha, You determine how far things can go and set the conditions. The best way to deal with a hyper pup coming out of a crate or pen is to ignore, no contact, no eye contact and verbal contact and only after settled some small calm contact only to be stopped if she gets riled up. The little rat dog doesn`t have that option and runs for what he thinks is his life. I would at least for the time being use a leash as he comes out of the crate and redirect her play to a kong with peanut butter or something. After a few weeks of corrections and redirections it should settle down.

If they were equal size or if the old dog was a bigger breed I would be more inclined to let it go. This isn`t a fair pack order fight.

(Luzerne County)

Doing some obedience training with the puppy would not hurt. I have two Saints and a Rotti. When they start fooling around I can stop them with a basic obedience command. I have never had a problem with them fighting.

The Rotti plays with a toy that has a squeaker in it. he will squeak that damn toy until the male saint will come over take it out of the rottis mouth. He will then take the toy over to his cushion and lay down on the toy. There is no fighting or arguing involved.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

I agree what others have said, plus taking the puppy to puppy class will help alot, but you have to use it properly & constantly. Plus you need to give it more time then 8 days. It can take up to a month or so for the older dog to get used to the fact that the puppy is here to stay.

You also need to try to spend time with them "together" giving both of them equal attention. This will help the older dog & the puppy.

They will figure out between the 2 of them the heirarchy & will eventially become friendly with each other, it just takes time

I went thru a similar situation, I had an older dog (5 yrs old) & brought a puppy home. Older dog didnt like it much but after time and puppy training they are friendly. Then I tested both of them by bringing home 2 more new puppies. Not everyone gets along great, even with the 3 cats I have.

Good luck & make sure you do your part
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Carbon County)

I am no expert by any means, but I have to agree with CDyer here, and the others, We have a 5 y/o fem. choc lab and we brought home a new puppy and at first it was a little rough, but give it time. the older one may be scared of the bigger pup, plus it is "his" house and you brought a stranger in to "his" domain. Lots of love and equal attention should work. They will work it out themselves, just be patient. It took us a little over 3 weeks to get our dogs comfortable with each other. He will come around when he gets used to her. Just make sure you don't favor the pup over him, and equal time alone, and together. As long as there is no violence, they can work it out. Good luck, and lets see a pic of the new "baby".

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by CDyer77 View Post
    I agree what others have said, plus taking the puppy to puppy class will help alot, but you have to use it properly & constantly. Plus you need to give it more time then 8 days. It can take up to a month or so for the older dog to get used to the fact that the puppy is here to stay.

You also need to try to spend time with them "together" giving both of them equal attention. This will help the older dog & the puppy.

They will figure out between the 2 of them the heirarchy & will eventially become friendly with each other, it just takes time

I went thru a similar situation, I had an older dog (5 yrs old) & brought a puppy home. Older dog didnt like it much but after time and puppy training they are friendly. Then I tested both of them by bringing home 2 more new puppies. Not everyone gets along great, even with the 3 cats I have.

Good luck & make sure you do your part
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast