Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default All You 1911 Aficionados

i'm already planning on what to get with my tax return monies. i know in my heart, i need another 1911. yes, i need one.

i'm looking for something affordable, but with a solid reputation. the ones i'm looking at are: the STI Spartan, the Taurus PT1911, and the RIA GI Model. the STI and RIA are both put together by Armscor. the Taurus is going for around $700, though i know where to get one for under $600. the STI goes for about $600, and the RIA can be had for less than $500.

if anyone has any experience with these, let me know. are they shooters? are they crap? i've shot the Taurus, and i loved it, but that was one gun. are they largely reliable, or are they hit and miss?

i'm counting out Kimbers, Paras, Colts, and Springfields purposefully; i'm trying to keep costs down. i know they're all great brands, but i can't bring myself to spend more than $800 on a 1911 at this point in time.

Default Re: All You 1911 Aficionados

Out of those 3 choices, I'd go with the STI. I'm very pleased with my RIA, but there is just something about damn near any STI ever made.

My friend is VERY pleased with his RIA Tactical model. It's a real tack driver.

The Tactical Model only costs a few bucks more than the GI model. I think the improved sights and safety are well worth the $$$. Rick paid $425 new for his.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Monroe County)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

(put on tin foil hat)

But keep in mind that single stack 1911's more then likely won't get hit by a renew of the AWB as they are low capacity pistols. I think the limit was 10 rounds last time so there would be no issues with buying a 1911 in the future

May want to add a high cap toy that will get slapped with legistlation instead of a 1911... just saying
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    My friend is VERY pleased with his RIA Tactical model. It's a real tack driver.

The Tactical Model only costs a few bucks more than the GI model. I think the improved sights and safety are well worth the $$$. Rick paid $425 new for his.
    yeah I would definately go with the "tactical" model.

Its got the improved sights which are the only thing I don't like about me (gi sights are hard to pick up)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

you could still get a Springer on your budget.

I would upgrade the sights first thing though any of the "mil-spec" have those crappo teeny sights.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/32589

$573 including shipping

(Lawrence County)

All decent choices......BUT I would never recommend a gun with the lousy GI sights or without a nice beavertail. Nothing sucks like a gun that makes you bleed when you shoot it........

Lycan1911thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

I'd put the Taurus firmly at the end of the list.

STI gets high marks....RIA guns are great values. My GI ran without a single issue, and shot 5 round .5" hole groups out to 10 yards. I never ran it hard, but it didn't fail in the general range use and defensive holster work I did with it.

I'd look hard at the RIA Tactical, or the STI if it's in your budget.
    Buying a good gun once, is a lot cheaper than buying a cheap gun twice, and shipping it back, and probably taking a loss on it trading it in.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I'd put the Taurus firmly at the end of the list.

STI gets high marks....RIA guns are great values. My GI ran without a single issue, and shot 5 round .5" hole groups out to 10 yards. I never ran it hard, but it didn't fail in the general range use and defensive holster work I did with it.

I'd look hard at the RIA Tactical, or the STI if it's in your budget.
    Buying a good gun once, is a lot cheaper than buying a cheap gun twice, and shipping it back, and probably taking a loss on it trading it in.

i know that, from dreadful personal experience.

I love my Taurus, and have had no problems with mine. However, the one I bought for my FIL had safety trouble right out of the box. Instead of shipping it back to Brazil, I took it to the local smith who fixed it in about ten minutes for $20. I didn't pay more than $560 for either one of them. I don't care for GI models, but have heard nothing but good things about RIA's. The STI Spartan is dead sexy, though, and can be had for not much more money.

Personally, I would buy another Taurus, but I also want a Spartan, so I would choose between those two. I also wouldn't rule out shopping for a good used Kimber or Springfield.

My .02
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8855&dateline=1222904  944
    Acacia Lodge #452 F&AM, Savannah, GA

Georgiacarry.org supporting member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast