Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Need a reloading bench

I have been using a reloading bench that I purchased from Harbor Freight at a very cheap price and then modified it somewhat to fit my situation. However, it isn't very sturdy-wobbles when you shake it. I have purchased a used Lee Loadmaster which will be here in a week. One of the requirements was that the work bench be steady and solid-that disqualified my bench right away. So I went to Home Deport just to look around and what to my surprise found the Workbench by Keystone for $79.95. It requires no tools for assembly. It is 5' long, 2' wide, and 36" high-all wood. It is a little narrower than I liked but figured I could bolt a wider top to the top of it. Here is the link to the bench if any of you are interested: http://www.ufpi.com/product/keystonebench/about.htm.
    The_Vigilante
    "A man can never own enough guns."

(Centre County)

Default Re: Need a reloading bench

Not bad looking. I build all of my workbenches (I should say overbuild) because as a woodworker also I don't want any movement at all. I bolt together 2x6's for the frame and the top I have on my gun bench is 2x4's glued and screwed (so the top is 3 1/2" thick by 36" wide by 6' long..it will not move LOL). Total parts cost was less than $100. Here are some pics (not great I know but all I have on hand right now).

Last edited by Xringshooter; December 12th, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added pics
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Not bad looking. I build all of my workbenches (I should say overbuild) because as a woodworker also I don't want any movement at all. I bolt together 2x6's for the frame and the top I have on my gun bench is 2x4's glued and screwed (so the top is 3 1/2" thick by 36" wide by 6' long..it will not move LOL). Total parts cost was less than $100. Here are some pics (not great I know but all I have on hand right now).

HEY!!!! I've sat there before!!!

I need to build me a new bench too , I wanna build I huge bench with cabinets up top , and I ahve all kinds of kewl ideas Im gonna do too. Have hidden slots in the top where I can slide two rifle holders down into to hold a rifle for cleaning , and lots and lots of drawers and shelves , nice flourescent lighting ..... man o man I cant wait , I just gotts find the time to do it though which is the hardest part of it all.

(Chester County)

I too built my own. Not as fancy as the previous poster, but solid and doesn't move at all. Mine is a simple affair. 2X4 bolted to the wall, then table top laid on that with underlying support and two legs bolted to the floor. About as solid a mount as I could make. Cost nothing to construct and only took about an hour to complete.

(Snyder County)

I've sat at XRingShooter bench to fill out a couple 4473s as well.

I am in the middle of building my benches. Well, kinda stalled from then spring. But the first bench I build using a similar method to Ron's above. Glued and screwed 2x4s together to make on massive top. Then I added 2x8 side skits and bolted legs inside to the skits. The issue for me is I know my wife and I are going to move in a couple years. And this bench is in the basement. So while I knew I wanted something solid, I also wanted something that I could take apart easily and move. So this is what I came up with. The bench top is 36" wide and 96" long and the top sits about 40" from the floor, just perfect to stand at and work. My next bench will be the same width and length, but only sit about 30" from the floor, perfect to sit at. That will be my reloading bench. But I have a long list of stuff to do around the house before I get to finishing my benches...sigh. And if there wasn't so much crap on my finished bench, I would take pictures for ya.

(Delaware County)

We just use an old kitchen table...works just fine and its large.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

These are photos of the bench set up after I took 5 minutes to assemble it. It is secured to the wall behind it with 3 4" screws and is solid as a rock. Beats spending 3 hours trying to build something and then have it look like a piece of cr*p.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Vigilante
    "A man can never own enough guns."