Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: [Centre] How many frequent the PAGC Scotia Range?

[QUOTE=
    I also think a lot of these guys who are "teaching" their friends how to shoot are first-time gun owners themselves.[/QUOTE]

They make it kinda obvious, don't they.

Just found this thread.

Me and my buddies started going out to Scotia about a year ago. The range seems "closed" more often than it's open, which is why we almost always use the aux. range (unless we are shooting clays). I must agree that the aux. range needs a lot of work, although I'd like to see exactly what sort of hand cannons people are using to rip those target holders apart. My buddy owns a welder (though I'm not sure what type or anything), and I'm sure if it's the right kind he would have no problem rebuilding some target holders, especially since he, too, uses the range.

Though we are always good about picking up and throwing away our trash, I must admit that we rarely clean up our brass (though I usually always clean up my used shot-shells if we're shooting clays). After reading through this thread, I'm definitely going to pay a lot more attention to how I treat the range (not that we every abused it), and will be sure to make a point to clean up my brass.

I can second the opinion that the range is better over the summer, when the students are gone (yes, I'm a student, but I've been a State College resident since the day I was born). I too have experienced the situation where someone was showing off their gun (an XD .45, in this case) to a buddy and the buddy inadvertently pointed the loaded gun straight at me. Though I haven't been able to bring my girlfriend out with me yet, I have been out there a couple times with one of my female friends to introduce her to shooting (she had never shot a gun before). I made sure to emphasize safety over everything else, and kept a very close eye on what she was doing while she shot. Those lessons seem to have payed off, as she now exercises good muzzle and trigger control and always operates the guns' safeties responsibly.

I think it would be neat (yes, neat) if we could all get together over the summer and have some sort of PAFOA range cleanup and shoot at Scotia. I'd even be interested in organizing some sort of weekly PAFOA get-together out there once it warms up and stays that way. Anyone else?
    Last edited by lexington86; April 14th, 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: omissions

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    After reading through this thread, I'm definitely going to pay a lot more attention to how I treat the range (not that we every abused it), and will be sure to make a point to clean up my brass.
    Whatever you do, please don't throw out the brass. For those who do not reload i am happy to take the brass off your hands. Whatever i don't use/can't use I make sure it ends up being recycled.

I think it would be neat (yes, neat) if we could all get together over the summer and have some sort of PAFOA range cleanup and shoot at Scotia. I'd even be interested in organizing some sort of weekly PAFOA get-together out there once it warms up and stays that way. Anyone else?
    It would be nice thats for sure. Even just getting together a few times for a shoot and pickup a bag or two of trash is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Berks County)

I say we use wood to set up new target holders. If people joke around and blow them apart then they're SOL. Especially if their just starting to shoot. The metal ones can take quite a beating but its usually the idiots who are doing stupid stuff out there. Ill probably bring a trash bag today and the range brass bucket that ronin and i leave in one of our cars. Guys dont be hesitant to pile up your brass on teh ground and let it there if your not gonna reload it! I love it when those college kids go out and shoot and leave all the brass on the ground... Hmm wait im a college kid but i pick up my brass and everyone elses...
    Last edited by Kenshin; April 14th, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    Whatever you do, please don't throw out the brass. For those who do not reload i am happy to take the brass off your hands. Whatever i don't use/can't use I make sure it ends up being recycled.
    Yea, I'm not sure how much you'd actually be able to use. .22lr brass isn't even really worth reloading, given that it is so cheap already, and I shoot Wolf steel-cased cartridges with the SKS. I'm going to try to remember to always bring a bucket with me now, though, so I can pick it all up and hold it for whoever wants it.

FYI: Headed out to Scotia in a few minutes...

(Centre County)

Geh! Damn you all who are getting to go to the range today, I am envous as I just woke up and have to head back into work after a 14 and 1/2 hour work day yesterday. Well everyone enjoy the rest of the day at the range, I'm back off to save Penn State students from themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    Geh! Damn you all who are getting to go to the range today, I am envous as I just woke up and have to head back into work after a 14 and 1/2 hour work day yesterday. Well everyone enjoy the rest of the day at the range, I'm back off to save Penn State students from themselves.
    Yeesh... you work the Friday and Saturday night shifts? You must see the worst of the worst of PSU students. Gladly, you won't be seeing me. I haven't "gone out" since longer than I can remember.

(Berks County)

Yea, I'm not sure how much you'd actually be able to use. .22lr brass isn't even really worth reloading, given that it is so cheap already, and I shoot Wolf steel-cased cartridges with the SKS. I'm going to try to remember to always bring a bucket with me now, though, so I can pick it all up and hold it for whoever wants it.
    You can keep the wolf ammo and throw it into a pile we dont normall collect it unless its there on the ground but we do have bucket for steel brass to recycle as well.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

Yep, Every other weekend, friday, saturday, sunday and moday. geh!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast