Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default AK Bolt Hold Open (a real one)

I found this http://www.geocities.com/akcatch/index.html.

Its an internally based AK bolt hold open feature that works in conjunction with a magazine modification. In theory then, this makes the AK have a "true" bolt hold open feature.

I'm not affiliated with them at all, I was just wondering if anyone had any more info on this. I figure with the right training a bolt hold open would be kind of useless.

For example, you are shooting and the bolt locks back. You assume this is because the rounds are gone but instead the last bullet failed to feed properly. You detach the mag, load a new one, and release the slide. Except now you realize that you actually have a jam.

If this really was strong and feasible, then the part could be worthwhile. I have seen people just modifying magazines and thats it. Maybe someone can enlighten me, I don't see the point on this platform.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Default Re: AK Bolt Hold Open (a real one)

A solution in search of a problem, IMHO. Certain AK mags have a raised floorplate that accomplishes the same exact effect without cutting up one's AK. To release the bolt, we only need to insert a loaded mag and pull the handle back a little further and release. I have one such mag, I'm so used to all my AKs closing dry it's more the exception.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    A solution in search of a problem, IMHO. Certain AK mags have a raised floorplate that accomplishes the same exact effect without cutting up one's AK. To release the bolt, we only need to insert a loaded mag and pull the handle back a little further and release. I have one such mag, I'm so used to all my AKs closing dry it's more the exception.
    Right. You could get an XCR if you wanted an AK type gun with features not natural to a Kalashnikov.

This does seem to work, in theory. The mag mod alone though I can't understand. As soon as you pull the mag out the bolt slides forward...why bother?

(Northampton County)

One of my AK's already has a factory bolt hold-open. Gotta love the Saigas...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Jefferson County)

Doesn't the dead "click" serve the same purpose?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

I have 2 AK 47's, and all I use are steel BHO mags.
    I like when the bolt is held open after running dry, instead of counting shots or just hearing a dead click when I am empty.

As far as the bolt locking back when it fails to feed, and assuming it is empty, then putting a new mag in and causing a jam.
    You should always give the gun a tilt to the left, then a quick look to see it the camber is infact empty, before releasing the mag and inserting a new one.
    I do that with all AR's, AK's or any other semi auto rifles...
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Bolt hold opens aren't really important. I lost the slide lock back on my glock and I've yet to replace it.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    I have 2 AK 47's, and all I use are steel BHO mags.
    I like when the bolt is held open after running dry, instead of counting shots or just hearing a dead click when I am empty.

As far as the bolt locking back when it fails to feed, and assuming it is empty, then putting a new mag in and causing a jam.
    You should always give the gun a tilt to the left, then a quick look to see it the camber is infact empty, before releasing the mag and inserting a new one.
    I do that with all AR's, AK's or any other semi auto rifles...
    My only reservation with the mag BHO is that it is not an original design feature of the AK. I suppose by making a habit of looking at the feed ramp and seeing that all is ok, a mag BHO could be useful. Where exactly does the bolt hit the mag when using these BHO mags? I've seen pictures of the BHO mags and it looks like they could gnarl up the bolt face after a while.

Did you make your own carriers with a welder or buy them from somewhere?

And imperialism...I have a Saiga too and I find the BHO was largely useless because it is manually engaged. I left mine out when I converted.

Easier solution:

Buy Yugo MAGs and life is good!

(Allegheny County)

If it works I would do it, if i had an AK.

not just to avaiod the empty click, but also so that at the range I can have my bolt open and no mag in the gun with flag when clear. You can flag it and close the bolt on the flag, but I would really prefer the bolt open so that it is clearly visable to everyone that the rifle is cleared.

When I had a Yugo, with the bolt hold mag, when you removed the mag the bolt closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast