Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Buying reloaded ammo questions

I've read the horror stories about reloaded ammo, and basically I'm just looking for some personal experiences from you guys.

40S&W and .380, out of a Taurus PT940 and a Bersa Thunder .380, respectively.

For carry use, good stuff is in the mag, but for target practice, are you guys comfortable using reloads? A local shop swears by it above the new stuff (for target, due to the lowered cost,) but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about putting the stuff through the guns.

Any stories, positive or negative?

Jesse

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Buying reloaded ammo questions

So long as the ammo is reloaded be a reputable company you will be fine. The loads to look out for is the ones that come from individuals. The only reload I feel completely comfortable with are my own.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Delaware County)

I'd also only buy a small batch first to make sure your gun shoots them reliably.

My CZ-85 wouldn't cycle reloads reliably last time I shot, but I'm almost positive it was due to a faulty magazine. I have since replaced it, but haven't been able to hit the range yet to retry some reloads.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Beaver County)

I've shot Ultramax reloads through my PT111. I found three rounds out of a 250 round pack that must not have been sized properly. I found them when I was cycling them through by hand. The slide would close. I didn't fire those three, but didn't have any problems with the remaining rounds. They cycled just fine.

The vast majority of my shooting is done with reloads. The difference is that I reload them myself, so I know the person doing took good care and had a vested interest in the safety of the outcome

I'm extremely reluctant to shoot ammo reloaded by someone else unless I know and trust them, or it's coming from a reputable company.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    The vast majority of my shooting is done with reloads. The difference is that I reload them myself, so I know the person doing took good care and had a vested interest in the safety of the outcome
    Ditto, I'd prefer not to use one of my guns as a bad reload detector, particularly the 300 Winchester Magnum. I suspect it'll make a flash & mushroom cloud if that one ever let go anywhere else but the muzzle. [XP
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Hm, thanks for the responses.

The guy at the store made it seem as though it was a (fairly) local guy that did this, but I was told "This is all this guy does is reload handgun ammo. I've never used anything else in my guns for target and I've never had a problem."

But I agree, I really hate to test my gun's durability if I get a bad round. I think I might just have to go with new stuff.

(Northampton County)

Most commercial reloading is done so the gun goes bang, not for accuracy.
    I had purchased a case of reloaded .38spl just for target shooting. It wasn't bad but I did find a box(50rnds) that wasn't loaded. That's right, just the empty cases. Now I load my own.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff