Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default warmest boots for tree stand

I searched the archives but couldn't find anything really that addresses my question so I'm relying on experience from others here. I'm looking for a warm boot. I mean the kind that keep your feet warm when you're sitting in the tree stand in near zero weather for hours. I have Columbia boots now that are supposed to be rated to -25F but that's not even close. Saturday was in the teens and my feet were freezing in these boots!! So, any recommendations from anyone who has warm, waterproof boots that they swear by? Thanks.

Default Re: warmest boots for tree stand

I have an older pair of Rocky Blizzard Stalkers w/1200 grams of thinsulate...they are great in the cold. I will however offer a word of caution that I've heard Rocky's quality has dropped off severely over the past few years so you may want to look into other brands now.

(York County)

I've used my pops 1600 gram rocky's and 2 pairs of socks and no problem, now like Mabuz said, I've heard the same thing about rocky going downhill. I also love the 'Mickey's' those gov't issue mickey mouse boots, warm, dry and comfortable, but just a touch on the heavy side, but still they have never let me down.

Also I bought a pair of Irish Setter 800 gram for bow season and they are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, I would highly recommend Irish Setters. I wish I could tell you how the 2000 gram Irish Setters do in the cold, but they are wrapped up under the damn tree and my fiancee won't budge an inch
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Cambria County)

Think thick. Think loose (so you can wiggle your toes). Thinner boots work great to hold heat in. But unless you moving. Most won't keep your feet warm. MICKEY MOUSE type of boots are best. But they are clunking to walk in. But man will they keep your feet warm if your sitting still.

Best way to keep your feet warm, is to keep your body core warm. Your body slows blood flow to your outer limbs when your body core starts to cool down. Keep your body core warm and toasty, and it will pump heated blood out to your fingers and toes helping them to stay warm. This is one reason a VEST works to keep you warm.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bucks County)

What kind of socks are you wearing? Heavy cotton socks will absorb moisture and make your feet cold. I wear a thin pair of dress wool socks and either an uninsulated Cabelas boot or a 800 gr Thinsulated Cabelas boot depending on the temp. I tie them so they are loose, not tightly so blood flow and moisture can move freely. I've been in -10* weather with a wind chill of -25* in 2 feet of snow and keep my feet warm with the above setup. Good point about keeping your core temp up also. I like those sticky back body warmer type pads. I stick them on the small of my back in the area of my kidneys and that keeps your blood warm.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ihunt49 View Post
    What kind of socks are you wearing? Heavy cotton socks will absorb moisture and make your feet cold. I wear a thin pair of dress wool socks and either an uninsulated Cabelas boot or a 800 gr Thinsulated Cabelas boot depending on the temp. I tie them so they are loose, not tightly so blood flow and moisture can move freely. I've been in -10* weather with a wind chill of -25* in 2 feet of snow and keep my feet warm with the above setup. Good point about keeping your core temp up also. I like those sticky back body warmer type pads. I stick them on the small of my back in the area of my kidneys and that keeps your blood warm.
    I was wearing a pair of wool blend socks categorized for Ice Fisherman I picked up at Sportsman's Warehouse. Also tried the socks I generally use in my ski boots - neither one worked very well for warmth.

(Susquehanna County)

The warmest boots I have found to date are the "snowmobile" boots or the rubber lower/leather upper "shoepak" types with a full size removable WOOL felt liner. Sorel is probably the best known maker of these. My recommendations are based on my experience contending with the weather of the Northern Adirondacks, 120" of snow a year and no stranger to -40.

You should also be sure to wear wool socks. Why wool? Simply because your feet will stay dry. Wool wicks the moisture away from your skin so the wool against your skin stays dry. In fact in sub-zero weather you'll find the outside of the felt liner frozen with frost while your feet are dry, warm and comfortable. Be sure to take the liner out of the boot and allow it dry after each use!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Blair County)

Keep the boots you have and get Arctic Shield boot blankets and you'll never look back. You won't wear em out either. I wear 1200 gram brownings and boot blankets in Manitoba and Sask. way sub zero and they work perfect.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

Electric socks..............

As others have mentioned the boots don't have to be all that great. I learned last year to stop wearing several pairs of socks. Since then I have worn only 1 pair of socks under my hunting boots and haven't had a very cold foot since then. Sure they get cold sometimes, but thats hunting aint it?

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast