Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Read all 18 pages and my question seems mostly answered on page 18, but I want to make sure.

A guy from CT wants to buy an AR lower from me but wants to do FTF. I'm thinking we could go thru an FFL here in PA.

The FTF transaction doesn't alleviate the need to transfer thru an FFL, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Golf View Post
    Read all 18 pages and my question seems mostly answered on page 18, but I want to make sure.

A guy from CT wants to buy an AR lower from me but wants to do FTF. I'm thinking we could go thru an FFL here in PA.

The FTF transaction doesn't alleviate the need to transfer thru an FFL, correct?

Thanks in advance!
    If they are not a Pennsylvania resident, a FTF transaction cannot occur legally. Must be done at a FFL, personally I'd ship to a ffl in his State to be 100% sure

(Jefferson County)

ALL interstate transfers, except by bequest or intestate succession, have to go through a FFL. And for those exceptions, someone has to die.

The AR lower will need to be shipped to a FFL in CT.

Federal law only allows transfers of RIFLES and SHOTGUNS to non-residents.

Handguns and "firearms, other"(receivers, pistol grip only shotguns, etc) have to be transferred through a FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

So, you will need to ship it to a CT FFL or the "firearm" will need an upper with barrel for to be transferred in PA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    ALL interstate transfers, except by bequest or intestate succession, have to go through a FFL. And for those exceptions, someone has to die.

The AR lower will need to be shipped to a FFL in CT.

Federal law only allows transfers of RIFLES and SHOTGUNS to non-residents and requires an FFL.

Handguns and "firearms, other"(receivers, pistol grip only shotguns, etc) have to be transferred through a FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

So, you will need to ship it to a CT FFL or the "firearm" will need an upper with barrel for to be transferred in PA.
    Well said, I only added the red text because people take sentences out of context. As you wrote, all interstate transfers (except bequests after death) MUST go through an FFL. For long guns, it can be an FFL in either state. For handguns and "firearms other than complete rifles or shotguns", it has to be an FFL in the buyer's state. A lower receiver without a barrel and stock isn't a rifle or shotgun, so it's treated in this context like a handgun.

Also, the receipt has to be legal in the buyer's home state. Many of the states near us treat the 2nd Amendment like a loophole that can be infringed at will, so they have "assault weapon" bans that cause residents to look to the free state of PA for private sales, which are illegal much of the time.
    http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/sl...lt_weapons.pdf
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Thanks all for the replies. The guy had a concern sending money, hence the desire to do a FTF. He initially agreed to meeting at an FFL here in PA to do the transfer, then backed out. That's ok because I found another buyer who has no issues. I'm sending it to his FFL in CT.

I never had a gun transaction go south, but I think I will break contact quicker with those that raise red flags. It's just not worth it.

(Centre County)

Can someone tell me what happens if I cancel my rifle transaction before PICS has an answer ? I was at a local Dick's Store and wanted to buy a .243 for upcoming deer season and my background check went to "in research" ..... I stopped in the store a week later and told the clerk I wanted to cancel my purchase since I would not have enough time to shoot the scope in before deer season and he went to the PICS computer to cancel the transaction. Does this also cancel the Background Check that was in progress ?

I am a non FFL holder thinking about an sale to an 03 FFL in PA.
    Does PA require a C&R handgun to go through an 01 FFL when transferring into the state?
    Does PA require a C&R handgun to be registered?

(Centre County)

If the gun is a C&R handgun, you can sell it directly to the 03 FFL, and he would put it in his C&R acquisition/disposition book. If it is not a C&R handgun it would have to be transferred through a 01 FFL in PA and the 03 FFL would have to do the transfer paperwork/background check just like anyone else. There is no "registration" of firearms in PA. However, if the handgun is not a C&R handgun, it would be placed in the PSP sales database (a de facto registration) when the 03 does the transfer paperwork at the 01 FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thank you.

(Butler County)

Thanks to everyone for their input in this Sticky!

Forgive me for being overly cautious, but I live in PA and am selling one of my C&R 70yr. old Yugo Mausers to another PA resident but just found out he does not have a C&R. Can I just take a picture of his PA DL, print it, and place it in my C&R book?......As long as I have no reason to suspect he is a bad man. Am I reading that right?

Thank you very much! I just want to be a safe seller. We haggled online so much about the price, I'm afraid if I demand we go to a dealer for transfer, I'll lose him.
    Dave

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast