Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Mil-dots, EVERYTHING you want to know.

Tomcat I'm sure I am the last person you really want to hear from....but....I'm not a grudge holder...maybe a little Seriously this is one of the best threads I have ever read, and one I have actually read entirely. The scope I currently use on my FAL just deals with MOA, mostly because the whole MIL system was quite confusing originally, and an EX army buddy said it's easier with MOA in his opinion. After reading all of your thread I have decided to go the MIL route, having more of an understanding for it, it seems like a really efficent system.

I don't know if you would answer this or if someone could answer it for me if not. I currently have an Osprey International 10-40x magnification red/green rectile. It adjusts with 1/8" MOA per 1 click.

This is the exact scope I have, and place I purchased it from.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=453841

My question is, is this scope one that you, or any serious LR shooter would use ??? I understand it may not be top quality or anything like that. I was using it on a Saiga .308 and have since sold that and bought the FAL. I was planning on going up to the range, unfortunatly it's only 100 yard range, and zeroing it in. My thought was to keep this scope on the FAL, assuming it's a decent scope, and go with a MIL dot scope for my AR-15 I just purchased. Right now I just don't have the money to go shooting as much as I'd like, unemployment is a biotch, but I am trying to set my rifles up for efficent LR shooting.

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated as you guys seem much more knowledgable than me with optics.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    Tomcat I'm sure I am the last person you really want to hear from....but....I'm not a grudge holder...maybe a little Seriously this is one of the best threads I have ever read, and one I have actually read entirely. The scope I currently use on my FAL just deals with MOA, mostly because the whole MIL system was quite confusing originally, and an EX army buddy said it's easier with MOA in his opinion. After reading all of your thread I have decided to go the MIL route, having more of an understanding for it, it seems like a really efficent system.

I don't know if you would answer this or if someone could answer it for me if not. I currently have an Osprey International 10-40x magnification red/green rectile. It adjusts with 1/8" MOA per 1 click.

This is the exact scope I have, and place I purchased it from.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=453841

My question is, is this scope one that you, or any serious LR shooter would use ??? I understand it may not be top quality or anything like that. I was using it on a Saiga .308 and have since sold that and bought the FAL. I was planning on going up to the range, unfortunatly it's only 100 yard range, and zeroing it in. My thought was to keep this scope on the FAL, assuming it's a decent scope, and go with a MIL dot scope for my AR-15 I just purchased. Right now I just don't have the money to go shooting as much as I'd like, unemployment is a biotch, but I am trying to set my rifles up for efficent LR shooting.

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated as you guys seem much more knowledgable than me with optics.
    Howdy Philashooter, thank you for the compliment on the thread. I'm glad that it helped you understand the MIL system better. I also appreciate you reading the posts entirely, I know most people don't make it all the way through it. The MIL system is quite efficient, and works well if you have a MIL reticle. Having MOA turrets works equally as well if you have an MOA reticle, which some companies do make. The headaches and inconvenience happens when you start making them cross over, and you have to do conversions.

I will be happy to answer your questions about your particular scope, although I will not do it in this sticky. I have already told someone else who asked the same question about particular scopes. The purpose of the thread is to help people get acquainted with the MIL system, and how to use mil-dots and similar reticles. I really do not want to turn this into a specific scope thread. So please don't take this as an insult, but I will refrain from commenting on your scope in this thread. If you would like to open up a new thread, I'll be more than happy to answer your question in detail with my opinion. It'll be good so that others who are wanting to look up information about your scope and use can also see it, it'll be much easier to find. If you would rather send me a PM and not have it on the forum, I'll answer your question there as well. Either way, I think it's best in a seperate thread in the optics section, so that others can possibly get some information.

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Great Information as always Tomcat

Sounds like my next Varmint scope might just have to have dots

ETA...gotta spread it, man
    Ya'll are very welcome, I hope that the information is useful and helps you progress with the mil-dot scopes. I know mild-dots seem a bit mystical or like some "sniper vodoo" to some people, lol, maybe this will help take some of that out. No worries mark, it got stickied, so it'll be up for a while, lol. I appreciate the thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwilsoon View Post
    Ya'll are very welcome, I hope that the information is useful and helps you progress with the mil-dot scopes. I know mild-dots seem a bit mystical or like some "sniper vodoo" to some people, lol, maybe this will help take some of that out. No worries mark, it got stickied, so it'll be up for a while, lol. I appreciate the thought though.
    I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this post is. It appears like you quoted one of my posts where I quoted Mark, but then you deleted the code for "quote", so that it appeared like you posted it. Did you have a question, or what is going on?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123