Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default carry at concert/itermediate school

I am attending a concert tonight. It is held at an intermediate school. Can I have my gun with me if I lock it in the car? The parking lot is attached to the school so I think that it would be considered school property. I am assuming that the school is rented out to the symphony organization for their performances. I don't know if that makes a difference or is it never on school property?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: carry at concert/itermediate school

I wouldn't. Guess you just have to kick attackers in the balls.

JOEorthevaginaSMITH

(Butler County)

The reason I ask is that we are going out to dinner first. There have been 3 shootings in the area in the last month or so. I did not want to be unarmed in that area. No time to eat, go home to drop off gun and then make it to the concert.

(Franklin County)

I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say "it's legal", but we do have case law on the "leave it in the car" issue.

In Commonwealth v. Heidler, Mr. Heidler had his conviction of possession on school property reversed because the firearm was in his vehicle while he was in the school. The court ruled that he did not have "constructive possession" of the firearm (it was placed in his girlfriend's purse before arrival at the school). Both were LTCF holders (making the 'loan' to her legal), and she was never charged, though she indisputably had possession of a firearm in the school parking lot.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

That is a very tough call. Would be be worried that it might be stolen from the car?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Or just keep it on the DL.

"Gun? What gun?"

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    That is a very tough call. Would be be worried that it might be stolen from the car?

I am in my 50's and I am one of the youngest people at the concert. It is kinda isolated so not much traffic. A thief would have to go out his way , it is not a convient target.

(York County)

Why not just keep it in your bath robe........
    3%

(Lehigh County)

How do the courts interpret the stipulation to the affect of "or for other lawful purposes" in regards to carrying on school property?

So one of my sons has cub scouts tonight which convenes in the auditorium of an elementary school. I would be there for a lawful purpose. Given that, actually inside the school building is generally considered illegal AND in the school parking lot is illegal (if I had no option to secure anywhere but the vehicle)?
    I have an LTCF, I am allowed within the 1000' school zone, but not on the actual property - walking along the sidewalk next to a school acceptable?

Sorry for the late questions, as I see topics where I'm fuzzy I'm looking for clarification.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jizmo3 View Post
    How do the courts interpret the stipulation to the affect of "or for other lawful purposes" in regards to carrying on school property?

So one of my sons has cub scouts tonight which convenes in the auditorium of an elementary school. I would be there for a lawful purpose. Given that, actually inside the school building is generally considered illegal AND in the school parking lot is illegal (if I had no option to secure anywhere but the vehicle)?
    I have an LTCF, I am allowed within the 1000' school zone, but not on the actual property - walking along the sidewalk next to a school acceptable?

Sorry for the late questions, as I see topics where I'm fuzzy I'm looking for clarification.
    Sidewalk OK provided its a public sidewalk and NOT on actual school property. If the school is off the public road and the sidewalk belongs to the school then it would be a violation.

18 Pa C.S.A.§912(b) A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

There is a case now before the courts regarding the issue of 'lawful purpose' but for now I wouldn't recommend that you make yourself a second test case.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/351...me-page-2.html
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 8th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast