Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Pick a scope for 700 SPS in .223

I just picked up a new Remington model 700 SPS Varmint in .223 and need a scope.
    I would like to hear your thoughts on make and model of scope you would choose in setting up an outfit for yourself. I will use this rifle for target shooting, introducing the kids to shooting before moving up to a .243, as well as for coyotes in upstate PA.
    Your input will be extremely helpful as I will pick up up scope within a few weeks.
    Thanks!
    Jim

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Pick a scope for 700 SPS in .223

How much do you have to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by JimD98 View Post
    I just picked up a new Remington model 700 SPS Varmint in .223 and need a scope.
    I would like to hear your thoughts on make and model of scope you would choose in setting up an outfit for yourself. I will use this rifle for target shooting, introducing the kids to shooting before moving up to a .243, as well as for coyotes in upstate PA.
    Your input will be extremely helpful as I will pick up up scope within a few weeks.
    Thanks!
    Jim

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the quick response Wilson.
    I am willing to spend several undred for the right scope. I plan to keep this weapon and give it to my son someday, so I am willing to pay for a quality scope.
    Thanks!
    Jim

(Montgomery County)

I think that I may go with a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40. I would like to hear from anyone who has a similiar setup and what worked for them.
    Thanks!
    Jim

(Franklin County)

Leupold also make a mark 2 target/hunting scope. Its a little cheaper than a mark 4 scope, by a lot lol Its available in different power settings. 3-9 or 4-12 I believe. It has target knobs and has different reticles, mildot , heavy duplex, target dot. Take a look at it. I think SWFA.com sells them for around 599.00 Also if that is too rich for you take a look at sightron scopes. I have one on my 22-250 and it has served me well its an s11 6-24-42 mildot with target knobs. around 450 i believe and it has positive adjustment feature. Just some options that are pretty good quality without the large wallet involved. hope I helped...

(Tioga County)

It's a good choice. my last scope was a Nikon but my intended use was a bit different. Hunting song dogs is nominally done around dawn and sunset. good light collection is required. Leupold is a little better at this than the Nikon. I think your power selection is also correct. . Should you get the .243 later you can use that same scope on it to good effect and get another scope for your 22-250 perhaps not as pricey as the leupold. I can recommend the nikon as a second best to the leupold Leupold is the gold standard in rifle scopes. My local gun dealer uses that leupold on one of his rifles. He has the ability to mount any scope he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD98 View Post
    I think that I may go with a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40. I would like to hear from anyone who has a similiar setup and what worked for them.
    Thanks!
    Jim