Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LTCF Linked to Driver's License?

If you get pulled over, and they run your tags or driver's license does it tell an officer that you have an LTCF or CCW from another state?
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: LTCF Linked to Driver's License?

No, not in PA. Some other states have the info linked to your DL.

Does that mean if I have a State X dl and a state x CCW that a PO in PA could look it up and come up with my CCW info, or does that only apply to stops in state X or other specifically participating states?
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Does that mean if I have a State X dl and a state x CCW that a PO in PA could look it up and come up with my CCW info, or does that only apply to stops in state X or other specifically participating states?
    It only applies if you have BOTH a DL and a CCW from a state that links that information.

And in my personal experience running NCIC/NLETS it's not very common... and even when it did come up, unless you knew the coding for that particular state, you probably wouldn't even know what the note meant. I only knew what it was because I looked it up specifically in the NLETS manual.

I can't even remember what state it was now - but that was 5 years ago.

Is there some law that pertains to the access of LTCF records for a non-firearms related issues, or does the state of PA simply not link the records to a DL# or vehicle reg. and that is that? I know I have had friends who have gotten jammed up because they weren't carrying the LTCF and the officer had trouble finding electronic confirmation of its status. It wouldn't seem like it would be a huge stretch to search LTCF status by name if you had someone's license in hand...

(Bucks County)

I expect my NRA sticker that's on the back of my vehicle would give it away

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    In that is the case does LEO sometimes also run if you have a carry permit? I ask only because when pulled over recently the LEO knew enough to ask if I was carrying. He did not make a big deal of it and it was all matter of fact but the point is he knew, or seemed to know.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Hell, in some others states your CCW permit is just a stamp on your DL and is issued by they DMV type department. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    In that is the case does LEO sometimes also run if you have a carry permit? I ask only because when pulled over recently the LEO knew enough to ask if I was carrying. He did not make a big deal of it and it was all matter of fact but the point is he knew, or seemed to know.
    Maybe it was just a standard question he asks everyone he pulls over for his own safety?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Is there some law that pertains to the access of LTCF records for a non-firearms related issues, or does the state of PA simply not link the records to a DL# or vehicle reg. and that is that? I know I have had friends who have gotten jammed up because they weren't carrying the LTCF and the officer had trouble finding electronic confirmation of its status. It wouldn't seem like it would be a huge stretch to search LTCF status by name if you had someone's license in hand...
    The LTCF and DL/DMV records are simply not linked at all in PA. The LTCF records are sealed and can only be checked into by LEOs and other certain authorities in the line of duty. PA now maintains by law a 24-7 accessible database of licensees that can be accessed by 'net and toll-free number to check the status of a license. A LEO from PA or one from states that we established contacts with for licensing can easily check the status of a LTCF or lack of one by many bits of info(name, address, permit #, even SSN).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast