Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Auto bail out & opinions

Anyone read this from msn? The first guys idea of raising gas prices to $3.50 per gallon is about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. If we are having economic problems now just wait till we'd need to pay 3.50 / gal for gas to bail out these auto dummies. This guys idea is just plain stupid.

I think they should make them file for bankruptcy and then clean house crush the unions and start over. But that’s just me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28020043/

Here is a sampling of their ideas:

Daniel Sperling, director of the Institute of Transportation Studies at the University of California, Davis, and co-author of the new book “Two Billion Cars: Driving Toward Sustainability”

High gasoline prices could provide a large portion of the $25 billion bailout that the “Detroit Three” U.S. automakers are asking the government to provide to see them through these difficult times.

The federal government should establish a price floor of $3.50 per gallon on gas and impose a variable tax to bring the price back up to $3.50 if it drops below that level, as has been the case recently. The tax disappears if the price of gas goes above $3.50.

At current gas prices, the variable tax would raise enough money in one month to generate more than $17 billion, providing a large portion of the loan guarantees the big U.S. automakers seek. The extra money generated by the variable tax could be used for other uses — one is for states to balance their budget(s). That is a plan under discussion in California right now.

The price floor would be linked to the comparable world oil price (say $85 per barrel), rather than directly to gasoline prices, so that local gas distributors aren’t tempted to manipulate prices to the target level.

To receive some of the money raised by this tax, the U.S. automakers would be required to produce large numbers of affordable, durable, safe, fuel-efficient, low-carbon vehicles within the next five years. They should also be required to sell a certain number of near-zero emission cars — electric, plug-in hybrids and fuel-cell vehicles.

Besides helping out U.S. automakers, the money raised by the tax would be used to fund tax credits or vouchers to ease the burden on low-income taxpayers of higher gas prices.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Auto bail out & opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I think they should make them file for bankruptcy and then clean house crush the unions and start over. But that’s just me.
    I couldn't agree more... they've got very broken business models that rely on insane contracts with out of touch unions.

edit: this should be posted in the joke thread
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    edit: this should be posted in the joke thread
    Yeah but unfortunately, this is a real guy with a "real" idea.

(Schuylkill County)

Let them go bankrupt so they can get rid of the Union shackles.

Unions are nothing but dead weight on the balance sheet. These 'job banks' that were paying healthy workers that would rather sit and collect rather than *gasp* work are probably just the tip of the iceburg.

Its not about green cars. I owned a car in the past, they suck. Can't carry anything and will not fit 4 dogs. I wouldn't buy an eco-car if it was free. They suck.

And the pandering of CEOs working for $1 a year... this is nothing than the CEOs flaunting their contracts. Salary is nothing... its the BONUSES that they get the money on. Just more corporate ego's shatting on the working man.

Let them all rot on the vine. I'd rather have 50 regional car manufacturers than the 3-5 major crap-factories that we have now.

(Monroe County)

I am curious... hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge about the financial world and Gov't will be able to clear this up...

We are giving over 800 Billion dollars to publicly owned financial companies to buy their wasted assets and overvalued piles of shit and all they have to do is ask. The effect of this will be massive devaluation of the dollar and the gov't holding extensive power over public companies...

So why if we are giving money to finance, we give billions to Airline companies, oil companies got more then 20 Billion in tax breaks last year, and we bail out dept stores are we so up in arms over giving the auto industry money? They are asking for less then 5% of what goes to the financial industry, and we drag them over the coals and make them beg...

Maybe I'm confused... why does the auto industry not deserve free money that we are already handing out to everyone else?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Clarion County)

I just hope they figure it out .I just can't see a world without Chevy SilveradosBut I also think we shouldn't be accountable,I can barely afford my own mistakes.!!
    Last edited by dman; December 4th, 2008 at 01:31 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Maybe I'm confused... why does the auto industry not deserve free money that we are already handing out to everyone else?
    Everybody else doesn't deserve it either.

(Jefferson County)

With the auto makers, they are asking for a line of credit(a loan) that they can borrow into IF they need it. Not a grant(free money) like bailout that the banks got.

Between the banks that employ a few versus the auto maker that employ millions from iron miners & steel mill worker to car assemblers - the auto makers should at least get some help. (banks shoulda just fell) The auto maker's operating overhead is a major part of the economy, where as the banks have little to no overhead and contribute only to the economy a means of loans. Banks are a money for nothing scheme, where as the money that auto makers generates actually goes to the economy.

The auto makers are willing to make appropriate waste cuts and changes, where as the banks keep throwing money away on a non-productive industry.

If there is one institute that I think we should help - its the American manufacturers. Everyone bitches that stuff is made overseas and that the jobs are going there, well heres a chance to help keep Americans employeed. Some folks think that its just the auto maker's that face hardship if they fail. ...well its not, its everyone from the coal & iron miners, steel mill workers, car assemblers, the dealerships, truck drivers that deliver the cars/parts, the places where all those employees spend their money(where you work).

This country needs to stop allowing our factories to shut down. Pretty soon we all will be a nation of hamburger flippers and other service oriented employees.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 4th, 2008 at 09:46 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Schuylkill County)

Get rid of the EPA.. that one agency is has stopped more businesses than any others. When we built this country we didn't give a shit about the owl or snail.. not we can't mow our lawn without fear of kill an endangered species.

I'm all for conservation, but people are more important than animals and plants.

Also, I'm all for another 'stimulus check'. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast