Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Monroeville, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    6,800
    Rep Power
    21474859

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlnzz1 View Post
    And how is the date of manufacture determined on a products that have never been marked, (dated), as to when they were manufactured? Just curious.
    Magazines in question are easily identified as being preban and there*s a couple states that still have the original AWB in place, anything manufactured prior to sept 1994 is still legal to buy sell and trade in those states. Just get the required copy of LTC-A and you*ll be covered.

    image url
    Today was a good day!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Windsor Twsp., Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Age
    67
    Posts
    6,958
    Rep Power
    21474858

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Wait - magazines have to be transferred at an FFL?
    No. Reading comp owns me this morning and I should have read the OP more
    carefully.
    I THOUGHT the OP was selling a Glock but was asking about the legalities of
    the magazines as well.

    So yeah, buyer can fetch the magazines. Sorry for adding confusion to the thread.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    4,289
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    No. Reading comp owns me this morning and I should have read the OP more
    carefully.
    I THOUGHT the OP was selling a Glock but was asking about the legalities of
    the magazines as well.

    So yeah, buyer can fetch the magazines. Sorry for adding confusion to the thread.
    It's all good (;

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dar al-Harb, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    905
    Rep Power
    3773

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Appreciate all the replies.

    And for those who were confused, or raised very valid questions - Yep, none of it really makes any sense at all. It seems that MA law in particular is purposely written to be simultaneously both prohibitive and vague.

    I am 100% certain that the mag in question is pre-ban. But how well do MA LEO understand the minute differences between the mag generations, such as "below the shoulder 9mm font," "metal dimples," "square notch vs. U-notch," "9mm| followers," "3206 marked baseplates," or any of the other nuances that delineate a pre-ban mag from a post-ban one? I cannot imagine living in such a state.

    Again, thanks all!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Raccoon City, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,570
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Appreciate all the replies.

    And for those who were confused, or raised very valid questions - Yep, none of it really makes any sense at all. It seems that MA law in particular is purposely written to be simultaneously both prohibitive and vague.

    I am 100% certain that the mag in question is pre-ban. But how well do MA LEO understand the minute differences between the mag generations, such as "below the shoulder 9mm font," "metal dimples," "square notch vs. U-notch," "9mm| followers," "3206 marked baseplates," or any of the other nuances that delineate a pre-ban mag from a post-ban one? I cannot imagine living in such a state.

    Again, thanks all!
    Good question when they can't comprehend what "Shall not be infringed" and "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States" means
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    4,289
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Good question when they can't comprehend what "Shall not be infringed" and "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States" means
    You confuse comprehension with compliance.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    52
    Posts
    20,170
    Rep Power
    21474874

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    I am having a tough time finding a clear-cut answer to this question.

    Assume the magazine(s) in question are clearly pre-ban, FML, square notch, with correct caliber font placement and cutout dots above the '14' and '15' round counters. No 'Restricted' language on the back of the tube... All the telltale indicators of pre-94 mags.

    Is it correct that a MA resident can legally purchase from a PA seller, and that they just need to show a copy of their "LTCF-A" (whatever that is), to prove that that are allowed to own these grandfathered mags in MA?

    What risks would the seller be assuming in this case? Is it too risky and vague to even consider?
    The 1994 federal ban expired in 2004. So "pre-ban", "LEO only" and similar means absofuckalutely nothing in PA because PA doesn't restrict magazine capacity.

    The only time that would matter no is to states that have their own ban, and the relative dates would be of the states' respective laws.

    However, residents of states that have magazine capacity laws need to abide by their state laws. If they buy a "hicap mag" out of state, the magazine has to stay out of their respective state.

    Absolutely DO NOT ship a "hicap magazine" to a state that has a capacity limit. And MA is one of them.

    Just ignore any request to sell to anything to anyone in NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, IL, CA, WA, possibly OR, PR, VI, possibly VT, and DC.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

    Don't end up in my signature!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dar al-Harb, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    905
    Rep Power
    3773

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The 1994 federal ban expired in 2004. So "pre-ban", "LEO only" and similar means absofuckalutely nothing in PA because PA doesn't restrict magazine capacity.

    The only time that would matter no is to states that have their own ban, and the relative dates would be of the states' respective laws.

    However, residents of states that have magazine capacity laws need to abide by their state laws. If they buy a "hicap mag" out of state, the magazine has to stay out of their respective state.

    Absolutely DO NOT ship a "hicap magazine" to a state that has a capacity limit. And MA is one of them.

    Just ignore any request to sell to anything to anyone in NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, IL, CA, WA, possibly OR, PR, VI, possibly VT, and DC.
    Yeah, I think I've concluded that it's not worth the risk. Technically, I do think it would be legal if the MA resident verified their LTC-A... I see GunBroker sellers doing this.

    However I'm not willing to risk a charge over an act of goodwill ("act of goodwill" referring to selling a mag for, say, $50, instead of the $200+ that gougers routinely seem to charge for prebans to MA residents)

    Again, I appreciate all the replies to my thought experiment. Happy Father's Day to all.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    9,686
    Rep Power
    21474860

    Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

    Suicidal coward fired 30 rounds at gathered people near Detroit, reportedly reloading 3 times. Sounds like limiting mag capacity is ineffective.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM
  2. New Factory Glock Magazines - Free Shipping
    By 5532JWK in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 16th, 2008, 04:15 AM
  3. WTB: Preban AR15 magazines
    By Ricky in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM
  4. WTB: Sig P229 Preban Magazines
    By Alemannic in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 13th, 2007, 01:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •