Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Stolen Gun Update

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/403...tolen-gun.html

I called the Ft. Washington police detective on Saturday and left a message on his voice mail that I wanted a Police Report faxed to me.

He just got back to me and said he is coming to my house tomorrow to pick up the gun and will give me a report then. He refuses to fax me anything. Says I don't have a right to it and he wouldn't know where the fax went. He did tell me that the gun is in the National Crimes System and the person who sold the gun is being charged with theft of two guns and stolen property.
    He refused to answer my question as to if he knew either of the two parties involved.

He also said if I don't do it his way tomorrow he will arrest me for hindering a Police investigation.

Anybody have any advice?
    Last edited by RugerNiner; December 2nd, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Stolen Gun Update

Get an attorney if you really intend to fight this.

Don't be at home tomorrow.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lycoming County)

i would call your local pd. let them know what is going on, and have them come to your place the same time as this other officer. just to have more people there documenting what went on and how the detective handled himself. and i would have someone record the whole thing on a video camera.

(Berks County)

I'll second the get a lawyer suggestion, and have the local PD present (especially if you know anyone on the force). The way the officer is handling it is way out of line of anything i've ever heard of in a police investigation. Also, if he's not from your area, he doesn't have authority to arrest you for jack shit, he'd have to call the local PD to do that. If you can't/won't/don't get a lawyer and can't get someone from the local PD who won't just "back his brother in blue" then I'll second the don't be home suggestion. Its not like he's going to kick in the door and take a welding torch to your gunsafe.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Lancaster County)

The detective wants to give me the $254 I paid for the gun.
    He says if he has to get a search warrant he will take the gun leave me with nothing out of the deal and arrest me for hindering a Police investigation.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Franklin County)

If things aren't completely "on the up-and-up" here, your "cooperation" could make you guilty of an illegal transfer. Regardless of payment/search warrant, etc., IMO you'd be foolish to give up possession of this gun without clear documentation of where it went, and why.

I've never heard of the police being willing to "buy back" a stolen gun (or ANY other stolen item for that matter). This whole thing seems VERY suspicious to me.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

I have never heard of a PD giving someone money for a "stolen" firearm.

If the firearm is stolen, then it is stolen. If it is tracked to you, you are now in possession of a stolen firearm. Refuse to turn it over to the police and you could be charged with possession of a stolen firearm and possibly interfering with a police investigation.

I'm suprised the Det. hasn't sent the local PD over to secure the firearm. That is what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerNiner View Post
    The detective wants to give me the $254 I paid for the gun.
    He says if he has to get a search warrant he will take the gun leave me with nothing out of the deal and arrest me for hindering a Police investigation.
    Exactly where is this payment coming from? The police or the dealer you bought it from?

Doesn't sound right that the cops would be paying it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Exactly where is this payment coming from? The police or the dealer you bought it from?

Doesn't sound right that the cops would be paying it.
    The guy who stole the gun and sold it to the gun store.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    If things aren't completely "on the up-and-up" here, your "cooperation" could make you guilty of an illegal transfer. Regardless of payment/search warrant, etc., IMO you'd be foolish to give up possession of this gun without clear documentation of where it went, and why.

I've never heard of the police being willing to "buy back" a stolen gun (or ANY other stolen item for that matter). This whole thing seems VERY suspicious to me.
    Is any of the discussion with the detective on record at all?

I am thinking IA or ATF or Feds should get involved at this point.

I NEVER believe in gov't agents trying to skirt the law. They are to be held to a higher standard.

This may be official oppression or abuse in my view but IANAL.

I will definitely be following this case. I think it is important to us all in many ways.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast